omgwizards

Crossflow - Heat riser hose from exhaust to intake / EGR

Hi, silly question, I know.

Also, not my engine bay in the photo

I've got a 250 Crossflow in a 1978 XC Falcon

Attached is photo of original item from Ford, but I was going to go a cheap option using whatever I can find from a wrecker or auto store.

I suspect it's safe, but is there anything I need to consider if sourcing some random metal hose & hose clamps to use?

705dd3b69391f1c8ee868c7504af29b2.jpg989e977bedf54d13eb5afd9c55c20fec.jpga6933c6716d0bd81f8a22c152dacb3a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Repco sell it, there's a fair few different sizes.

Normally you get the right size and it's just a nice firm fit over the pipe, no clamps needed.

3bc5b438a80b2a5fb5cde99cb183a0c9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Usually they have one clamp at the Air Cleaner end.
I think that's the factory configuration?
I've definitely seen lots of engine bays using a hose clamp. I still find it odd that the exhaust pressure doesn't blow the hose off, but maybe I'm thinking of turbos and backpressure which isn't all that much of an issue with a stock crossflow

14 hours ago, omgwizards said:

705dd3b69391f1c8ee868c7504af29b2.jpg
I suspect it's safe, but is there anything I need to consider if sourcing some random metal hose & hose clamps to use?

its safe, those parts are rare because they often went in the bin soon after they looked tatty like that. 

it's for colder weather for the engine run without the choke sooner(probably measured in seconds) 

you'd need it for rwc when going for rego, and you'd fit it for the sake of an original engine bay on a resto, but 99% of my cars i'd remove it after rego (so it didn't get damaged ) and store it for the next car's rwc. 

I've definitely seen lots of engine bays using a hose clamp. I still find it odd that the exhaust pressure doesn't blow the hose off, but maybe I'm thinking of turbos and backpressure which isn't all that much of an issue with a stock crossflow

No exhaust flows through that tube it fits to the outside of the exhaust manifold, its just a heat riser to aid with warming up in cold climates, the on in that pic wouldn't work because the vacuum canister on top of the air cleaner that controls the flap to direct the warm air into the engine isn't hooked up

I was just typing the same thing...

As Thom says, it won't do anything until the vacuum duct in the air horn is connected.  There's normally a hose with a vacuum delay valve from the vacuum duct to a bi-metal switch in the base of the air cleaner body.  A hose then goes from the bi-metal switch to the top port of the three port tee in the inlet manifold.

So, when the car starts cold, the vacuum duct is opened and draws warm air from the manifold.  As the car warms up, the duct closes and the car draws cold air.

It's normal state is open and draws cold air.

4 hours ago, cisco said:

I cut the damned thing off and flare the intake end. It is only to get the engine up to temp quicker. I don't think it affects RWC but check with your RWC guy.

RWC guys in Melbourne/Geelong love picking these kinds of things

better would be run a longer tube to behind the headlight (later XFs had this with a duct behind the battery for cold air intake ducting)