Crebe

Borg warner with no drain hole

Hi Fordnatics. Funny thing hapened today while draining my diff oil to put in a new cover gasget. First step drain oil. Next undo bottom middle bolt to drain out oil. No oil? Empty? Use pick to check for blockeges. No blockage. The bolt hole is a blind hole? I removed the cover and the oil poured out. Cleaned up the diff and checked if an intersecting hole may have been drilled to drain the oil out but it was blocked! No other hole. I wiped the inside are of the diff above the bolt ans scratched around to find where the oil would be let out but nothing. Do any of the XA XB XC Borgwarner diffs not have drain holes?

I don't think any of the leaf spring Both Warner diffs had the drain hole.
I know the coil spring ones from XE onwards do.

But neither of my XFs (a ute and a wagon) have a drain hole.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

yes later model diffs have the drain hole,i have even seen a bung in some b/w diffs around xe era.

I have a disc brake LSD diff that came out of an XE V8 panel van sitting in the back of my container. I'll have to drag it out and see what it has.

21 hours ago, Crebe said:

Do any of the XA XB XC Borgwarner diffs not have drain holes?

Nope, other than disconnecting the tail shaft and loosening the u bolts to turn it over, this the only other way to drain the diff.

SCA_SPO3974078_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&sh=100

This is the diff I swapped out of the XH panelvan into my XF, and it has the drain hole.

BWdiff.jpg.e5cd6101d3629ea7b4191cee6a63f0c6.jpg
In that case I'd guess they added it from XGish onwards then? When they got the ratio changes and whatever else happened with the 4.0 motor

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Ya gotta laugh sometimes. I meen if you put in fluid and ya have to replace it in services, why the hell would you not put in a drain FORD! thanks for the pick of the pump. I have a few sizes but they aint gunna suck the sludge out of it, but come to think of it, I doubt a little drain hole would let it out it that thick!. Still they finally got it in the later ones ay.? All done now. Have my new pinion seal and gasget with new oil. Got my gearbox seal in the BTR auto as well to slow oil oozing out of the thing. Now its back to waiting on my alloy tank to get started so when its tacked together i can check fitment and send it back to be finished, then i can finish off the last of the fuel sutem and pray to the good of pain ans uffering that nothing leaks