Sign in to follow this  
XES

BUBBLES! In fuel filter.

I was having a bit of a play around under the bonnet today on the clevo and noticed this:

The reason I noticed it was that the fuel pump (mechanical Holley) was making a choofing sound I hadn't heard before. I checked the filter and noticed that. If I didn't have a clear filter I wouldn't have noticed. Does this mean the pump might be stuffed?

It doesn't look like it supplying much fuel was the pump new or second hand?, I'm pretty sure you can still get rebuild kits for the Holley fuel pumps

It was second hand Thom. I'm thinking its a problem in the pump. The choofing sound is coming out of the holes in the top which I think are breather holes for the diaphragm. I'll have to look into rebuild kits.

Yeah might be a tear in the diaphragm, also check the fuel lines for any cracks etc etc as they can suck air, I have had this problem before.

Good idea.  I know the from section is alright as I've replaced this section but I should check back at the tank end.  I would of thought if there was a hole in the diaphragm it would leak out of the breather holes...

I'm thinking that although the pump might be noisy, it's not the problem. My brand new Goss unit was a bit /squeaky but came good after a short while.

Like you said, if it was a diaphragm sucking air, then it would be pushing fuel out also, as the diaphragm strokes up/down it encounters both suction and pressure. You could well have a blockage in the tank.

A mate had this problem with his XU1, now and then the car would just sputter and die and after pulling his hair out looking for the problem shone the torch down the filler neck and just happened to see a piece of something float past and after pulling the tank out, found it was a bit of masking tape from a respray the car had long ago. It would float around and then randomly get sucked up by the pickup. It can be annoying, weird things like this that can have you scratching your head for weeks/months.

I'd start with the absolute basics and go from there.

Good idea gerg. I might pull the tank and have a look anyways. This car got stolen from me once when I was at vicroads getting the suspended rego lifted and when it ran out of fuel they put 10 liters of diesel in it and tried to start it. I've ran plenty of fuel through it since the but it may be worth a look.