OK guys I have a 6 cyl tacho for a ford xe and I want to get it recalibrated for a v8 does anyone know where to send this to get it recalibrated cheers

I'm interested in this too. I have a v8 one and need a 6 cylinder one. Mine may have been done though, it was in a 6 and has a sticker from adelaide speedo service or something like that. I guess I'll just try it.

Any gauge place should be able to do it I reckon.

If you pull the cluster apart, there's a trim pot on the side of the tacho which calibrates the ratio of movement. You move the trim pot with a small flat blade screwdriver. You might have to remove the speedo to get access (just a few screws). If you can get hold of an automotive multimeter that has a tacho function, you can use this to calibrate against, with engine running. I guessed mine.

On a V8, one method to get you close is to set your engine idle at an indicated 1000 rpm (on a 6cyl tacho). If you note where you start then keep the engine the same, wind the trim pot back so the tacho now reads 750. If you're going the other way, just reverse the numbers. Good luck!

Good info, I was hoping there would be a way to cheat.

I was going to fit this S Pack one to my ZK then realised I'd end up with two sets of warning lights. LTD must have had a different one again. Bugger!

Good info, I was hoping there would be a way to cheat.

I was going to fit this S Pack one to my ZK then realised I'd end up with two sets of warning lights. LTD must have had a different one again. Bugger!

Yep, Fairlane/LTD had speedo in the center of the cluster, with temp/fuel/ either side. No tacho or vacuum gauge, or warning lights.

Lol. Thats the one the Fairlane had, which I knew as I have a ZK!

LTD had the sports one with the warning lights blacked out. I'll just do that and I'll be sweet.

If you pull the cluster apart, there's a trim pot on the side of the tacho which calibrates the ratio of movement. You move the trim pot with a small flat blade screwdriver. You might have to remove the speedo to get access (just a few screws). If you can get hold of an automotive multimeter that has a tacho function, you can use this to calibrate against, with engine running. I guessed mine.

On a V8, one method to get you close is to set your engine idle at an indicated 1000 rpm (on a 6cyl tacho). If you note where you start then keep the engine the same, wind the trim pot back so the tacho now reads 750. If you're going the other way, just reverse the numbers. Good luck!

Good to know, thanks!

Any instrument shop will recalibrate your tacho fairly cheaply.  It's a very common job, so you can even phone them and ask the price first. 

At least then you'll know it's accurate.

Lol. Thats the one the Fairlane had, which I knew as I have a ZK!

LTD had the sports one with the warning lights blacked out. I'll just do that and I'll be sweet.

An LTD cluster would have gone straight in and no warning lights.