Server maintenance Read more... ×
Chrisso

Cleaning up engine bay

Hoping to get any info or link to another thread from anyone that has been able to clean up or remove any of these heater hoses (mainly that manifold heater) or some of these vacuum lines that might not be needed to hopefully eliminate any leaks it may have if they arent essential to make the engine run. It’s a November 84 XF if that helps in any way.

722e1e62bdeed133cacb028f0a5a5805.jpg06d4cc3ab8834528ca48df0d5828f3af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can see that green one is unplugged from the doover whatsit for starters

with the heated manifold, do you want to bypass it just because the fittings are garbage or to make it look better?

heated manifolds work by making the liquid fuel atomise, this will happen better when the motor is warm, but if it's working properly the coolant warms up sooner. can be a pig in winter without it.(unless on LPG, which is already a vapour)

the other hoses and gadgets won't make it go better by removing them.

i don't know what they do, but if you plan to rego it, i wouldn't be removing anything until after rwc for starters. hate to have to refit it all later.

i think @Mr Polson might have had the diagrams for these hoses and gadgets.

My advise, is to leave everything in place.

They work to alter the timing, and control the vacuum advance. (84/85 XF = non-est distributor)

And also to control the fuel delivery/enrichment with the carby,

along with the EGR valve operation too.

Removing the vacuum lines (as messy as it may look) will make it run worse.

I'd set myself a challenge, to see how neat you can make the factory setup look -

cable tie/re-position the lines/hoses, etc.

Yeah ditto everything above. I had a Cortina with an aftermarket 2 barrel manifold, which had no water jacket. It was an absolute pig in winter, barely idled due to the base of the manifold cooling so much from fuel vapourisation, that it would ice up. That's why you have that water jacket.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

on another note..
cleaning the gunk off the paint in the engine bay can be rewarding, mine was so bad i used clothes washing power and a scourer in bucket of warm water then JIFF in places before giving it a wash n wax wash..

probably could try some car polish or car wash stuff first, i think the clothes washing stuff made things rust that weren't painted.. 

Well I guess leaving it all alone is the go, was just to get rid of anything that was non essential, does anyone in the Sydney area have a Gregory’s manual they would sell? no one has them on the shelf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy both the Gregories one, AND the XF Ford factory service manual, on ebay I think?

Just looking now, there are about 20 copies of the above, for sale on ebay atm.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XXF+Ford+service+manual.TRS0&_nkw=XF+Ford+service+manual&_sacat=0