scottly

Manual transmission builders in Vic

Hey lads,  I currently have my 4 speed toploader out of my ute at the moment as it was weeping oil from almost every seal from not being driven.

Does any one know or has any one dealt with manual trans builder in Melbourne, I just need a seal kit put through the toploader and maybe a check over?

i have heard auto trans guys won't touch them and I also had a quote to reco it! They said like $3500 I was Like what do I get for that? And they where like good old used parts with a new seal kit and bearing kit! What the fuck that's almost the price of a new tko 600 

last quote i got was $1500 for a gemini 5 speed, so would also like to hear of someone reasonable

i haven't rang the mob who reco'd My single rail 4 speed about 20yrs ago for 351 clevo, but i just remembered they were in Melton, and this could be them.
commercial gearboxes
https://www.australianplanet.com/commercial-wd-gearboxes-melton-vic-F170BC10618

It's weird, if you want a auto built there are a heap of names that come to mind plus it's good hp per dollar, but not the same with manuals. It's almost tempting to sell the manual conversion to a GT enthusiast and just go auto. But I'd really like this ute to stay manual 

38 minutes ago, scottly said:

It's weird, if you want a auto built there are a heap of names that come to mind plus it's good hp per dollar, but not the same with manuals. It's almost tempting to sell the manual conversion to a GT enthusiast and just go auto. But I'd really like this ute to stay manual 

you could fit a T5 in it's place, @gerg may confirm this idea has merit

you could fit a T5 in it's place, [mention=244]gerg[/mention] may confirm this idea has merit

Depends on what it's behind, what variant of T5 it is and what kind of driving. Garden variety 6-cyl one won't last long behind a healthy 351, but a T5Z (driven reaaonably) probably would.

The T5Z needs either a spacer/adaptor to go between the bellhousing and the box (input shaft is 16mm longer) or a completely new bellhousing to suit. Even then, you still have issues with gearbox mount alignment, shifter location and tailshaft length.

You could get the input shaft turned down to the old length to compensate.

I have a 6-cyl T5 behind my 302 on a modded toploader bellhousing. Wasn't too hard, but there are CRS bellhousings to adapt one to the other without dramas.

For $3500, you could get a T5 stuffed with bulletproof internals and some nice ratios to go with it.

$3500 is a rip-off to "rebuild" a 4 speed. They are just milking the resto market for all it's worth.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yeah not super keen on a t5. I have a voice in my head telling would it work out better for me to just sell the box and shifter to xy owner ect. 

Then maybe go tko 600. The other voice tells me just go a built auto. F#ck I hate this lol. 

13 minutes ago, scottly said:

Yeah not super keen on a t5. I have a voice in my head telling would it work out better for me to just sell the box and shifter to xy owner ect. 

Then maybe go tko 600. The other voice tells me just go a built auto. F#ck I hate this lol. 

one of My regrets of My XD 351 with the single rail, is selling the setup for $500 odd(just needed a new clutch which i couldn't afford at the time) i had a C10 setup spare so i fitted it..  it had broken  input shaft somehow, which i sold the 4speed setup to cover the cost of repair..
car was boring by comparison, but it was better in traffic which was killing the clutch and My patience with the manual. 

have you rang commercial gearboxes in Melton yet?

25 minutes ago, deankdx said:

one of My regrets of My XD 351 with the single rail, is selling the setup for $500 odd(just needed a new clutch which i couldn't afford at the time) i had a C10 setup spare so i fitted it..  it had broken  input shaft somehow, which i sold the 4speed setup to cover the cost of repair..
car was boring by comparison, but it was better in traffic which was killing the clutch and My patience with the manual. 

have you rang commercial gearboxes in Melton yet?

Single rails are good, stop the gear stick from coming out, the only issue you will have is the selector rail seal.

Dale

19 hours ago, scottly said:

Hey lads,  I currently have my 4 speed toploader out of my ute at the moment as it was weeping oil from almost every seal from not being driven.

Does any one know or has any one dealt with manual trans builder in Melbourne, I just need a seal kit put through the toploader and maybe a check over?

i have heard auto trans guys won't touch them and I also had a quote to reco it! They said like $3500 I was Like what do I get for that? And they where like good old used parts with a new seal kit and bearing kit! What the fuck that's almost the price of a new tko 600 

i rang the Melton gearbox joint, and they've been taken over(taken over the phone number mainly) and opperate in Bayswater Vic,  called 360 Gearboxes .

they said to reseal an otherwise good TOP LOADER it would be around $120 .

full reco is upto $2500 generally from $1200 ish

they don't stock the gemini stuff but would do one at least cheaper than what i got quoted last also(can't get synchros anymore or gears for My Gemini box)

phone number is 97295550 sorry i forgot to get the lady's name i spoke to, but she knew what's going on, so well worth having a chat. 

THEY ONLY DO MANUAL GEARBOXES

http://360gearboxesdiffs.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzYyo5JPA4wIVkYRwCh2fJA4kEAAYASAAEgJK-fD_BwE

WKtwzmK.jpg

Hey man, thanks for the link I'll give them a buzz and see what they say or suggest. It also turns out I know someone who had a toploader reco'd by them $2800 and he is very happy.

18 minutes ago, scottly said:

$120 sounds pretty good to reseal it. The gearbox works fine just weeps oil when it's hot 

yeah seemed they are common for leaks,  and they said if they pull the top cover they can have a bit of a look for obvious wear but naturally cant' check it all out. but if it's fine and only leaking they were happy to just re seal it.

good to hear it's a good mob to deal with, i'll be going to see them about My broken gemini gearboxes i suspect. (was tossing up going auto, but need the overdrive .. kind of has to be done i think)