Slow250XC

Xc,Xe or TFI for msd 6al2

Hi all,

Done some searching and got some good info on sorting out the fitment and the benefits of the msd which sounds bloody awesome.

Ive been running a 2 wire XE dizzy in my xc for years, can these be used with the msd unit? Should i fit an electronic pickup to the old points dizzy? Or will the XF Tfi dizzy drop right in and be the bees knees?

Cheers guys

There is absolutely zero reason to use a electronic dizzy on a xflow. I know people will say they need advance and I can say it's bull shit from experience. My ute has been a  L O N G journey and was far far far from hot when I started out and doing the TFI swap made it such a nicer thing to drive it was like day and night. Locked on 30 degree's it starts easier uses less fuel and goe's better even on a engine with a stock cam and just bolt on's.

TFI to the front. 

Can't see why u would go to the trouble to fit a points dizzy, when u could bung in an est or TFI dizzy and never ever have an issue. The ex magnetic has issues when worn, which they nearly always are and particularly if you give it a rev.

TFI or est. I use the est as it doesn't have the module which can cause issues, deleting it fixes it but the est is straight drop in. Don't worry about all the crap out there about phasing being out.

The MSD 6AL programmable is a good bit of kit, has some limitations in that the curve is not a 3-d map like on an aftermarket efi setup, but 2 separate curves (for rpm and load) that add to each other once running. You'll get to 90% of where you could with a 3d map anyway.

On a street car, you'll want an ignition curve as opposed to flat-timed as it allows you to extract the most out of the engine at all operating loads and rpm.

The beauty of the MSD function is not that you'll make more power (doubtful) but that it can tame an otherwise cranky engine, especially in the lower rpm band where a cam might be way "off the boil". It does this with 6 zaps of the plug, ensuring a more complete combustion. It does this up until about 3000 rpm, where there is no longer enough time in the cycle to fit in multiple sparks, and is of no benefit for performance from this point.

As mine uses an MSD style inductive pickup, I can't advise about EST or TFI compatibility, but I believe some on here have done it successfully.

So basically drop in either the tfi or est, wire up msd and call it done.

Sounds like a plan to me :)

Another item added to the list.

Any benefit to tfi over est as far as fitting/wiring is concerned?

Thanks for all the help:)

Est is by far the easiest to wire in. TFI require pin out of the module or blade terminals inserted where Hall effect converts to module.

If you get an est dizzy off a late model xf just cut the three wires down stream of the connector on the side.

Wiring off those 3 wires is as follows.

Black/brown - to earth.

Yellow/green - white on MSD (trigger)

Brown - red msd (12v switched power, to power the Hall effect)

Follow that, not the way the MSD literature says and you will have no issues. It's how all my stuff runs and all my customer stuff.

Oh and what gerg says is spot on. Close enough to efi mapping with a dirty old carb. So cool.

If your a follower of keyboard warriors and believe the est has phasing issues then get both. Pull the wiring clip and pins off the est dizzy and the black bit that bolts to the side.

Remove the module and same black piece on the TFI dizzy. Add the est components onto the TFI dizzy and your done. Or confused.

Basically your just making a more reliable connection to the TFI's Hall effect sensor and deleting the module.