CHESTNUTXE

GEAR VENDORS OVERDRIVE UNITS

These AOD trannys are you shore they change 1-3-4 then only kick down into 2nd,i see b and m do one for $3500 from the u.s.,for my FMX a gearvendor is about $2700 u.s..

Oh I see it sandwiches into a redesigned extension housing. I was thinking more of the pommy-style electric ones that are separate and use a switch on the gearstick.

I just read about the AODs and the crazy shift pattern, never driven one. Seen a vid of a bloke driving one manually, shifts 1-3 then quickly back to where 1st is to get 2nd.

hmmmmm,gerg tell me exactly what would need to fit the BTR v8 box behind the clevo,aparently a different flywheel out of a 351 windsor is this correct 164 tooth ? will the std converter still fit.

hmmmmm,gerg tell me exactly what would need to fit the BTR v8 box behind the clevo,aparently a different flywheel out of a 351 windsor is this correct 164 tooth ? will the std converter still fit.

You need the 351w fly but it has to be mirror balanced to a clevo one, you can run the auto using an ea shift computer (or an e series 5.0 but a ea is easier because you can use a map rather than a maf) but you need a e series tps, map sensor, speedo tranducer and it has to be geared to match the speedo transducer to shift correctly as the BTR 4 speed shifts on load vs road speed not load vs rpm

i had an AOD about 20years ago in an XE .. it didnt like 2.92 diff, and with 3.23 i was unhappy with it and wish i kept the C10.
might be ok on a tow truck but not on a fun car..

how much do the gear vendor units cost to setup.. i assume a custom tailshaft, and $4000 bill.. probably worth it if needing overdrive.

i had an AOD about 20years ago in an XE .. it didnt like 2.92 diff, and with 3.23 i was unhappy with it and wish i kept the C10.

might be ok on a tow truck but not on a fun car..

how much do the gear vendor units cost to setup.. i assume a custom tailshaft, and $4000 bill.. probably worth it if needing overdrive.

The thing is that the gv will take 1000hp and still be reliable (look how many people from drag week run them) but still pricey

Spending $4000 to save $4 per trip is not economical thinking,just saying. That said my old 2v XD ESP was awesome on the hwy and used less fuel than my BIL's Fairlane as my combo was in it's working range on the hwy. Mine had a decent hyd cam 650DP on a dual plane manifold good ignition exhaust 650 and stuff 2500 convertor C4 and 3.45 gears. His was a similar engine combo with FMX stock convertor and 2.75 gears.

I'd put money on modern EFI cars save more fuel thru tune than OD's and them GV units are more for blokes who want to take some stress of serious engine's in between tracks than fuel savings as there still not hwy tuned as such.

Back in the day most people used them GV units behind petrol powered large American pick up's towing horse floats race cars in massive enclosed trailers and such as they were geared as work horse's not hwy cruisers till EFI and standard OD's came along.Trucks now days are Diesel's or turbo Diesel's though and it's all different again as Diesel's are a much better platform for towing with.    

They also make a shorty c6 gearvendor for hot rods ,if i installed one on my fmx it would drop from 3.27 to 2.53 and so on for lower gearing ,once i calibrate my dash next week i will see where i am at,in the end at the diff shop i can change the gears back to 2.92 or 3.08 for about $220 or run 235/70/15 and that will knock it to 3.00.1

No thats a higher gearing,and it would use more fuel cos it has to lug against the gear to move the car. Higher the number lower the gearing.That high a gearing would work if the car was doing 160kph but as the max is 110 it will make it labour. 

Thats the idea behind them to give you a better spread of useable gearing.That would enable you to make it faster and also better on the hwy.Them 6 speed commys have like 3.7's from memory?   

Thats the idea behind them to give you a better spread of useable gearing.That would enable you to make it faster and also better on the hwy.Them 6 speed commys have like 3.7's from memory?   

the 6 speed commo has a double overdrive though. i think 6th is 0.6.. can also be 0.5 (half the revs what 4th gives)