Panko

XF rear Brakes on XD diff

Hi guys.

It is possible ill be putting an XD 2.92 diff into my XF wagon, but i want to keep my XF brake calibers and ventilatied rotors.

Is this a straight swap?

if i remember correctly the mounting face on the end of the axels is oriented differently.. (drum brake style on XD diff i think)

i vagely remember KCUF mounting EB brakes on a drum housing on his centura and just redrilling the mounting plates. but you'd have to check it..

the early diffs could be 2 types of rotor mounting, behind the axel like the 9" XC etc. and outside the axel like XE and XF..  i would guess you could re use your brakes on the XD housing if the wheel bearings are same type(XC ones wernt taper roller from my understanding).. but you'd need to check further on these points too..

i'd just use the brakes it came with if it was complete.. if not, then i'd investigate further..(i need a similar question answered..do gemini brakes on rear of petrol ones will bolt onto a diesel diff (commo disc rear fits the petrol diff, not sure on the Jap spec diesel diff though)

why not use the brakes the comes with, keep the stock wagon diff whole if it ever needs to be reused.

Well i did my brakes up. I think the calibers are larger and XFs run ventilated discs, XDs are solid.

XC XDs had vented discs, XD ghia disc is same as XE XF but the caliper is different

EA to EL were solid

pic of XD diff with brakes.

c772b9f717b8fde235a6a334abcc7870_zps89cf

Are the discs at least interchangable between xd and xf? Cos mine havent done much work.

yeah discs from XD ghia and fairlane etc are same as XF. hand brake cable will also fit the XD diff.(calipers are different, caliper winding tool for brake pad change is different, uses two pins from memory)

the XC diff looks same and uses same calipers as the XD diff but the discs dont come off in the same way.(axel has to come out from memory on XC)

Hmm ok. Ill need to do a run down to take a look at it. The diff in question is at Marks place

ask him if the disc can be removed once the caliper is off.. if so, same discs as yours.

if its the one he recently got, calipers probably need a going over by the looks.. or is this the one out of his XF ute (basher)

IMG_1148_zpsykd6eqs5.jpg

So i spoke to a diff place, oldschool wog guy. He said no XF calipers wont go on XD. However Dean, that photo above, which is the diff that im meant to be getting off Mark, the calipers look the same as my XF ones. So ill get Mark to send me good pics of the calipers.