Sign in to follow this  
SirkWhyXF

Help removing xf rear door trims??

I've got all the fixings off but the trim just doesn't want to lift off the top of the door. Is there somthing I'm missing or some trick to it?

Just don't want to damage a perfect door trim.

Got a new fuck up now though.

Door trims off - check.

Window out - check.

Problem is after winding the winding mechanism up far enough to slide the window out, I accidentally wound it a bit more and now it's protruding past the top of the door and for some reason doesn't want to wind back down.

Anyone know how to fix that one???

Got a new fuck up now though.

Door trims off - check.

Window out - check.

Problem is after winding the winding mechanism up far enough to slide the window out, I accidentally wound it a bit more and now it's protruding past the top of the door and for some reason doesn't want to wind back down.

Anyone know how to fix that one???

The winding mechanism should wind up and down freely unless it's caught on something somewhere, just need to grab a torch and look at every single moving part you can find while rocking the handle back and forth, look at the winder, the cog, the window attachment rail and slides and anything else in there, it must be caught on something, it should stand out like dog nuts when you spot it, they're a very basic setup, nothing can hide.

What was the problem?

This was the culprit

6223D13D-E324-4097-A3A8-280E8303D50E_zps

Fuck man, if I knew u were doing windows I would have advised u to give the neighbours ear plugs, most I've ever sworn outside work.

Especially when trying not to damage new paint

Haha, would have been the situation if it wasn't for my helpful friendly panel beater neighbour who's help I greatfuly enlisted.

Good stuff bud, done well. Bloody rubbers eh?! Shits of things. A bit of lube helps anytime you have to fk with rubbers, in bed and in the shed. lol.

You've reminded me of another job i haven't yet done on mine, i've gotta remove the winder/gear mechanism, really bloody noisy for some reason, i've sprayed with wd40 but that didn't help at all, very strange noise like it's tight, but it's not..... bloody thing! I think i'll just swap it all out of another door.

Funny you should say, My drivers window makes a kind of spring unwinding noise that the others don't make. Works smooth as though.

Almost a complete success.

Only two minor casualties. Outer window seal cracked at the rear of the door, reckon a bit of super glue will fix it though.

image_zpsce5bec6s.jpeg

And the stud/bolt right under neath that area the secures the outer trim to the door pulled out as I over tightened the nut :( no biggy though, doubt anyone would ever even notice.

11224A19-63A8-4C40-AB5D-E0523D773DFB_zps

Yeah, sounds like the same noise, i couldn't really think of a discription of it, i don't know what causes the noise but covering it in spray lube didn't help so it can lick dick, i'm not gonna play the 'lets fk with xfalcon windows' game, they suck.

Damn shame you busted the rubber, i don't think superglue will last too long though unfortunately. All mine are off XFs (being quite a few years newer than my XD)

I usually find the XF rubbers are still soft(ish) so hopefully you can find a replacement.

Pretty sure i've got a fat, but very short screw in my doors which replaced the tiny bolt and nut set-up, try that maybe?

Be sure to lube all the rubbers to keep them soft too.

Yeah rubber casualty was a shame but I was expecting it to be honest. I'll keep on the look out for som new ones, the one on the drivers door has got about four or five little chips out of the top edge of it so I need one to replace that at some stage too.

Thanks for the tip with the screw on the trim too, I'll give that a go :)

As for your window I agree with not fucking with it if it ain't necessary, as the old saying goes - if it ain't broke don't fix it. You know you'll just fuck somthing else if you do.