Mustardxf

Suggestions on solid E85 compatible fuel system

Wanting Ideas and suggestions for a good fuel system setup for my crossflow! will be street/strip

Ill be making a drop tank for my xf sedan and Would like suggestions on fuel pump, lines, fittings and everything needed, and surge tanks!

Budget isn't important, doing it right the first time.

10.5:1 comp

Carby, 600 holley at the moment

haven't been dynoed but suspected 250-300rwp

solid cam

Oh okay sly, was just thinking for future if it is needed.

Maybe if you are boosting it , otherwise if it is 'street strip' its just more of a pain to find fuel! 

I noticed the awesome anti-knock properties of E85 in my own car, when I filled up with normal shitty unleaded it rattled its head off down low, but pumping approx 20% E85 in shut it right up. But that knocking has more to do with my MSD curve than anything else. I think it stabilises combustion so you can dial in more timing for power.

10.5 really isn't enough comp to take advantage of E85, more like upwards of 11.5 is when you'd consider it, especially with a cam capable of producing that much power (on assumption).

It's no longer an economic advantage to use it (the petrol companies made sure of that), it's slightly more expensive than 91 but you use 25% more.

Okay guys E85 aside for now and out of the picture.

What are suggestions on the setup of the system from tank to carby. 

Internal tank pump? external pump? surge tanks? pump to feed the surge tank? size hose? fittings?

I don't know much about fuel setups and would like ideas and inputs!

If you're building a tank from scratch, you can build a surge tank or "swirl pot" into it, eliminating a lot of external hoses, wires, etc and potential leak points. This lets you have an in-tank pump without the need for a transfer pump and extra wiring, etc.

So you can get away with only 5 fittings on the tank: fuel out, return, filler neck, overflow tube, and vapour out. You could even adapt a fuel sender/pump basket from something else like a jap light commercial which will further reduce the amount of fittings needed on the tank itself. Depends on what gauges you're running too.

You can adapt aftermarket efi pumps to fit the basket, as most pumps are of similar size externally. You can hold them in place using hose clamps. My brother fitted a Walbro to his Supra which flowed more than the standard Denso but was slightly smaller in size.

This is all assuming that you don't want to run a mechanical pump. I personally think that they're as reliable if not more so than any electrical pump. Back in the '60s when they ran big blocks pumping out around 400 hp, mechanical pumps were more than fine. The upshot of that is you won't need to run a fuel reg as the pump itself is a pressure regulator. You also don't need a return.

Running a tank- mounted electric pump will need a fuel reg at the carby end. The long run from the tank to carby has too much pressure drop for a tank-mounted reg to control pressure accurately. You'll end up starving the carby when flow picks up under load, especially on acceleration when the pump has to push the fuel forward against its own weight. Say you have a tank-mounted reg set at 6 psi and under full flow, the pressure drop is 5 psi. That means you've only got 1 psi at the carby.... A recipe for disaster. Running a reg at the carby means it gets exactly what you set it at, regardless of the pressure drop before it.

Run a filter as close to the carby as possible, as the rubber hoses themselves can shed little chunks internally and get caught in your jets, squirters, etc.

That's all I can think of for now

as above if you build the swirl pot inside the fuel tank then all you need is one of these: http://vpw.com.au/Category/Index/390001 and a filter before the carb, thats it, no fuel reg no fancy stuff and you can mount his fuel pump on the chases rail so it's not as noisy inside, it will draw from the tank like a champ and its only $128! stock hard fuel lines are fine, convert the meds to speed flows and ptfe to the carb and you're done

if you're going to ask for more than 400hp then put 1k aside! you will need a lift pump and a main pump, double the filters, fuck loads of fittings and a pump controller or/and fuel cooler on the return, that's if you gaining to drive your car for a few hundred km at a time, if not then no fuel cooler and no pump controller