Sign in to follow this  
SirkWhyXF

Just broke something???

Just dropped the clutch (with a bit of revs) in the XF and.... grind, clunk, clunk, clunk, grind, clutch back in, and same story trying to let the clutch out and engage first. Can get forward and reverse gears but have to let the clutch out very slowly and be very gentle with the revs, otherwise it just grinds, and is worse when turning.

Limped it back to base doing no more than 50 in third and when I tried to down change slowing down, just more clunk and grind.

Would this be likley to be a broken axle? Or maybe diff gears?

I'm down the coast with a 90 k trip home.

I'm wondering if I'd be safe to try and cruise it home on the highway,or best to be a tow job?

No you will be towing that.Could very well be a axle but could or sun gears or even part of the ring gear or pinion but basically don't drive it. If it is a axle there is only 4 bolts holding that broken axle now.Not good...  

No you will be towing that.Could very well be a axle but could or sun gears or even part of the ring gear or pinion but basically don't drive it. If it is a axle there is only 4 bolts holding that broken axle now.Not good...

Alright, cheers bruz sounds like I'd better get the towey organised.

This is in my build thread, but will shove it in here too.

wheels spin forward and backward with the car off the deck and in gear.

Does get caught but you can force it and then spins just as easy as if in neutral.

I think you've made a metal and gear oil soup of your diff centre. Broken cross shaft and/or spider gears.

That's if you can't spin the wheels independently. If that all still works ok then you might have sheared your crown bolts off, and it's just grabbing on the little stubs left there.