Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Leather Care and Maintenance

Hey guys,

After some tips and advice on keeping the leather in my G6E clean and maintained.

Being the Cashmere colour I've noticed it very quickly gets black.

I have some Meguirs Rich Leather Cleaner and Condition but virtually have to put it on every week or so, wondering if there is anything I can do to stop it getting dirty so quick?

Chris, have you considered seat covers at all? Something that suits the luxury feel obviously like lambswool in the same colour?

Not to everyones taste mind you.

If not apart from what you are doing i think it is quite difficult to keep cashmere clean.

A weekly quick clean of them might have to go onto the regular cleaning schedule.

Would a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth weekly and the leather care monthly or so work?

I got some armoral leather wipes to do the territories leather trims. It works pretty well at cleaning it. Just need tot train the ball and chain how to use them now.

I got some armoral leather wipes to do the territories leather trims. It works pretty well at cleaning it. Just need tot train the ball and chain how to use them now.

Ive also used these in the past and they work well.

Maybe treat it the same as leather boots, as in try and create a waterproof barrier. Good old Dubbin wax is good for that. Smells like camphor and eucalyptus so dunno if you're into that or not.

Chris, have you considered seat covers at all? Something that suits the luxury feel obviously like lambswool in the same colour?

Not to everyones taste mind you.

If not apart from what you are doing i think it is quite difficult to keep cashmere clean.

A weekly quick clean of them might have to go onto the regular cleaning schedule.

Would a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth weekly and the leather care monthly or so work?

Are seat covers alright to use on leather seats?

Have considered them but didn't know if they'd do anything to the seats.

Other thing about seat covers is they seem near impossible to get them to fit so they don't move/slip around.

Had thought about wipes, have to hunt some down and keep them in the glovebox

Maybe treat it the same as leather boots, as in try and create a waterproof barrier. Good old Dubbin wax is good for that. Smells like camphor and eucalyptus so dunno if you're into that or not.

Eucalyptus smell I could cope with as long as it wasn't over powering, no idea what camphor smells like.

The key is to get them secured so they dont move around and rub the seats. A good quality set should do the job.

The set i have in the Territory have multiple straps to secure them and never move. I also take them off fairly regularly to wash them and no wear.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

They did. Not sure about now.

The ones ive got are from Supercheap. They werent actually cheap though! Have had them for about 4 years.

Btw do you have any relatives in Hervey Bay Qld?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

You can buy aftermarket ones that are custom fit spec for a particular vehicle. They arent cheap, normally in the mid 200's, maybe in the 300s down there. I have bought a set for the FG and the Ranger and it does solve the 'odd' look that i find with universal sets. the other thing i heard alot of the older gen were doing is a beach towel under the seat cover, to allow that separation. when i bought my first complete cartier, the leather in it was seriously like it was when it came out of the factory 20 years earlier and the old girl told me that that was how the old boy (who passed away) kept it like that. The only thing i dont like about seat covers is they hide the beautiful seat underneath!