Would really like to take it to a good mechanic and get everything sorted out.

That's a hard ask these days.

Very few if any, old school mechanics now.

Need to find someone who know's classic cars.

Rough idle can mean a Vacuum leak.

Why not test for an intake manifold vacuum leak, and/or put a vacuum gauge on the engine

and see what the needle does.

Being an LPG engine, it could have a burnt valve, or valve seat recession, or something like that too.

I'd be wary of a modern mechanic, as they will just go round replacing parts, rather than diagnosing.

They are fantastically simple engines - however, there's no computer to spit out a fault code for mechanics to read.

And these days, Mechanics be like - no fault code, no fix.

Apart from the Rough Idle, be specific - what is the engine doing that makes it not run properly.

What are the issues.

We should be able to work you through it, and narrow down the problems.

Worse comes to worse, I s'pose you could bring it past my mancave/factory,

and we can muck around with it for a day.

Cool. Yes you are right. I need to get back to basics. I thought before I do anything else, when it's cold, spray some starter fluid down carby. Basics _ is it fuel or spark? Then take it from there. I also think you are right that lpg has probably stuffed valves as well.

I also think you are right that lpg has probably stuffed valves as well.

Vacuum gauge and/or compression check will help determine that.

Does the engine have much blowby if you leave the oil cap off, when it's idling?

If you end up wanting to rebuild the cylinder head, I know an old school engine rebuilder in Bayswater,

from when my Uncle was a Mechanic.

He's a pretty good bloke - knows alot of the old school tricks.

Reckon it'll be the inlet manifold gasket, or carby base gasket. Spray a little Aerostart along the mating faces while engine is running, idle speed should increase if there's a leak.

Reckon it'll be the inlet manifold gasket, or carby base gasket. Spray a little Aerostart along the mating faces while engine is running, idle speed should increase if there's a leak.

Yeah...... we need a pic of engine bay, to tell if it's a 1V 250 or 2V 250 Pursuit. ^_^

Started straight away after spraying ether down carby. I guess tomorrow I'll put the old carby back on. Not sure what blow by is. And thanks, once it is back from panel beater, I would like to talk to someone about a rebuild. Will get back to you tomorrow and will take a pic too.

For the hell of it, I put old needle and seat back. I thought it was tight but a little fuel leaked so I had to tighten it much harder. I wonder if there was a small leak there before. Will cold start tomorrow and unless there is a miracle, will put old carby back on.

Well, no luck with changing needle and seat and tightening fuel line. Still hard to start cold. Will change carby but I know what sparky Dave is saying, but putting an old dirty thing for sparkling new!

If someone says 'this is probably a stupid question' it usually isn't. Bear asked if the choke was working. I thought it moved okay and before changing carbies had a good look. Broken choke spring on new carby (yes Dave, I know, New may be craps) put on old carby choke and fingers crossed for tomorrow. Might be my imagination, but seems to run better.