Snowman

Will a 4.0 AU Transmission fit into an XG?

Hi, My XG needs a new transmission and my uncle has a written off AU model with a tranny that was only recently rebuilt. So will the AU trans fit into the XG easily? I did a search before and someone said that the bellhousing has to be changed. Is that difficult? I've never changed a trans before. 

Thanks guys.

Hi mate, are you talking auto or manual? I converted my xf from auto to manual with no idea how to do it and I'm pretty clueless, so reckon should be easy enough for you, got a lot of advice for others on here who are far more knowledgable than me.

the AU and the XG are autos, but i also have an xg parts car that has a manual in it I guess I could use but thought it might have been harder to convert.

I've been reading these forums on and off for ages and finally decided to make an account and speak up, heaps of knowledge here!

Sorry autos can't help you with, but others will be able to. Manual would be reasonably easy change, guess you would need to change computer too, mine was pretty basic as was carb.

Not really Thom, will bolt up minus 2 bolts on the bottom, nothing to worry about, put a AU engine into a EL wagon and kept the EL Trans, pretty much the same any little differences.

Sire that will work if you want to be a butcher