XFH00N

Help Needed MSD Street Fire ignition not getting power

Hi all,

I have a MSD street fire ignition with a TFI dizzy in my xf ute, Yesterday the ute was running but was hesitant at low rpm today I went to start it to start looking at the issue but the ute wouldn't start. I check the 2 power wires off the msd and they have power to it but the power light on the msd isn't coming on.

What can the problem be here? 

Signal not going to msd from TFI due to Hall sensor failure would be my tip.  Does not happen often but the Hall sensor does fail. 

That is provided you are running it without the module.  If you have the module then piss it off and it may fire. 

No it hasn't got the module on it. Is there a way I can bench test the MSD and the dizzy? Shouldn't it get power and the light come on just from having the earth, positive and ignition wire connected with 12.28v on both the positive and ignition wire?

Yes the red light should come on initially to show it has power then it will go out and only come on when you crank it and it starts getting signal from the trigger.  It should then pretty much just stay on.

In my experience the MSD boxes either work of they don't.  Dizzy's on the other hand can work and then fail instantly or intermittently.  Hall sensors are just as prone as magnetic dizzys. 

Well that's a sigh of relief. Just went out and connected the 3 wires and yes the light flicks on then goes straight off. That means this is my 2nd dud TFI dizzy. can you swap out the parts from a newer one out of a 4L into the one I already have for my xf?

You should be able to just swap the hall sensor.  The shafts are different (hole position for the gear).  You sure you have it wired correctly.  Sly has posted on here somewhere the correct wiring.

Yeah mate its been wired properly Rob told me how to wire it when I got it all and ive had to check it a few times cause I was having issues with getting it running to start with. What are the benefits of running the tfi over the est dizzy with the msd? or are they pretty much the same?

TFI dizzy has more favorable rotor phasing, but I'm not sure if that is relevant for a MSD streetfire, the timing curve is not programmable I assume?

Either TFI or EST will work.

I have heard the EST rotor phasing that many times it makes me sick.  I just wonder how many people have actually looked at the phasing.  Rotor phasing is important regardless of what CDI box you are using.  Ah never mind- I need coffee.

No diffence at all - when you remove the module they are both providing the same signal to the MSD. 

No its not programmable. But looks like with this rain today I may have to look at removing the hall sensor out of a newer tfi dizzy today and put it into the xf one.