Anthony Pllu

Help With Spedo please

OK so hoped in the FD the other day and got half way down the road and noticed my spedo had stoped working.

Iv played around alot and cant get anywere with it.

Not sure were im supposed to check the signal from.

Tried different clusters etc with no luck. 

i have not touched anything around the gear box so no idea

You need to test the speedo transducer (sender) that attaches to the speedo drive on the gearbox.

Sounds like that might be the problem.

Can you have a look at the three wires that run off the transducer and tell me whay colours they are and I can tell you how to test it.

But you'll have to remove the transducer from the box to (bench) test it.

Where are you located..?

im just out of adelaide. 

ill have to jack the car up more to get to the back of the box and look. 

What do you make of the voltage moving when its going from N to D

possible linkage touching the wires on the transducer..

On the transducer plug there are three pins . If you look at there arrangement like a T the 1 on the bottom is the earth. Top right is power in and top left is signal output. 

The power to the speedo transducer should be 8.2vdc which comes from the instrument cluster loom plug pin 2.

The transducer output signal comes back to the cluster via the same loom plug and goes in on pin 8.

Id be checking the output voltage at the gear box end first and then checking continuity of the wiring.

yeah that will tell you that the supply to the transducer is present.

It wont tell if the transducer is outputting a signal though.

You could assume that if the earth is intact and the supply voltage is present and the transducer drive gear is not broken and the transducer rotates freely the the electronic part of the transducer is shot.

The only other option is the cluster is rooted but i think you said you tested that already with another cluster.

If that all makes sense

As I said previously, you need to remove the transducer to test it.

Otherwise you're just carrying out "tests" which are not actually relevant or definitive.

Remove it, tell me the wire colours and I'll tell you how to test it.

Black - Ground

Purple - Positive feed

White - Pulse signal

Connect 12v positive to the purple.

Connect ground to the black.

Now connect a multimeter, red to the purple and the black together with the ground.

Set multimeter to DC Volts.

Very slowly turn the gear and note where you started as you will need to make ONE full rotation and count the pulses as they appear as short pulses of voltage on the multimeter.

Turn the gear VERY SLOWLY or you won't see the pulses.  It should pulse 8 times in one rotation.

Any less than 8 pulses or no pulses means the transducer is definitely faulty.

The transducer usually requires around 8 volts but it won't hurt to use 12v just for this test.

If you are getting the correct pulses during test, then your transducer is good and you will need to trace and check the wiring and ensure there's a current supply to the transducer.

so tested the transducer and not happy with the results. it was giving 0.018 then 0.009 then 0.006 and then nothing for almost a full rotation i was doing it as slow and steady as i could but never have 8 pings over a full rotation. will find a new one