I have this strange steering issue with my XF.

I'll be driving along, turning a corner (flowing corners not city streets), occasionally if there is a bump/dip the wheels will actually jerk left or right, then when I go straight I have to hold the wheel at an angle. Then next corner with a bump it'll fix itself. Hope that makes sense.

I thought it may have been my flexible/cloth coupling being slightly stretched, but fixed that and its all good.

It also screeches the tyres at large roundabouts and similar corners, wondering if that is an indication of my toe being wrong?

And before anyone suggests ball joints or tie rod ends, they're all good.

THe camber or castor bolts or nuts loose maybe? I know when my camber etc was out when I put lowered springs in it would tyre screech at intersection or roundabout. Once front end alignment done never heard it again. Anyways something to help

My camber isn't set properly - bushes in the UCA are stuffed, have been since.I got it. That may explain the screech but not the steering.issue, as that only started recently.

Which bolts / nuts do I check for looseness?

My camber isn't set properly - bushes in the UCA are stuffed, have been since.I got it. That may explain the screech but not the steering.issue, as that only started recently.

Which bolts / nuts do I check for looseness?

if you think its steering check pitman arm condition, drag link, idler arm, steering coupling, could be also be a stuffed worm drive in the steering box, and get your camber setup properly!

if you think its steering check pitman arm condition, drag link, idler arm, steering coupling, could be also be a stuffed worm drive in the steering box, and get your camber setup properly!

Idler arm is good, steering coupling is good (I think, its flat). Pitman arm was good 6 months ago but I'll double check it. How do I check the steering.box and what is/how do I check the drag link?

Yes camber will be done soon, I may as well fully rebuild the UCA while I'm at it, which doesn't come cheap. Plus I use Nolathane for everything I can, so much better handling!!

you can't you'd have to take it somewhere and check drag link for bends by eye, yeah it will cost you around $150 that's what it cost me for upper balljoints and nolathane bushes

Is the drag link what connects the tie rod ends? If so then I'm pretty sure its fine. 

I don't need UBJ as I replaced them for rego 7 months ago, its more the bushes and then having them pressed in and then getting another wheel alignment, it doesn't help that the ute is pretty much a daily for now as my proper daily also needs major suspension work (its 400,000km old, and stock), so I also need the time to pull out the UCA to take them in.

The camber isn't too much of an issue right now, its more the funny steering thing it does.

Could the column be an issue? I changed to an adjustable column from a Fairlane when I changed to T5, but I can't remember if the steering issue started when I put the new column in or before that.

Is the drag link what connects the tie rod ends? If so then I'm pretty sure its fine. 

I don't need UBJ as I replaced them for rego 7 months ago, its more the bushes and then having them pressed in and then getting another wheel alignment, it doesn't help that the ute is pretty much a daily for now as my proper daily also needs major suspension work (its 400,000km old, and stock), so I also need the time to pull out the UCA to take them in.

The camber isn't too much of an issue right now, its more the funny steering thing it does.

Could the column be an issue? I changed to an adjustable column from a Fairlane when I changed to T5, but I can't remember if the steering issue started when I put the new column in or before that.

yeah it is, yeah! its $100 at pedders to have them fitted, im thinking off paying them to do mine, as there are a cow!, and ive got to have my suspension reset, toe is out, camber is not too bad, pitman arm is not in the right spot, drag links bent. costing around $125 for a full setup.

yes it could be!, um id check over the shaft and where it mounts

Don't they have to be pressed in anyway? 

Pretty sure I can have mine fitted by local suspension place for only like $50.

Its fine where it mounts, one thing I did notice about the shaft is it has some slack/freeplay, not sure if thats a bad thing or if they were meant to have it?

Don't they have to be pressed in anyway? 

Pretty sure I can have mine fitted by local suspension place for only like $50.

Its fine where it mounts, one thing I did notice about the shaft is it has some slack/freeplay, not sure if thats a bad thing or if they were meant to have it?

you can do them at home, ah really, pedders is $25 per press.

i dont know either, have to ask someone else here

hey chris ,ive just had an xg xr6 ute to come in and the main shaft in the steering box is broken ,should have heard the noise coming from this thing,tomorrows job

hey chris ,ive just had an xg xr6 ute to come in and the main shaft in the steering box is broken ,should have heard the noise coming from this thing,tomorrows job

Well mines not noisy, I hope the steering box is fine!! 

Manual steering boxes are somewhat hard to find down here.

Polson you can have mine but I'm in Sydney.

The steering problem could well be the upper bushes. Why not eliminate the knowns first then attack the unknowns?

I'd be willing to buy it just as a spare, I'd pay postage.

Bushes will be replaced, I was wondering if there is anything else that could cause it.

I plan to do a FULL suspension rebuild, one bit at a time, and I want to replace stuff in order or urgency.