Sign in to follow this  
Stumps

Anyone familiar with the Weber 38 DG series carbs

As the title states, I'm researching carb options for my TE and found the weber 38 DG series carbs which look interesting.

I found a couple of US websites where they have been fitted to their pre crossflow log motors with reasonable results.

My question is has anybody tried these on our crossflow sixes? How do they perform compared to the ADM 34 weber used on falcons?

Not an expert, but i believe the standard manifold would be the biggest restriction. I'd upgrade that before anything else.

Seems like a no-brainer otherwise, 38mm is bigger than 34 so not hard to see which is better.

Do the ones you refer to open progressively or simultaneously?

While what Gerg says is true to save the hassle go with the one you have and get Sean to tweak it. You doe's a spacer and top mod and some contouring work that actually works with the stock air cleaner and stuff...win win for you and no po po

Just my opinion...

After spurring my interest in this and looking it up myself, those 38 DGAS carbs are simultaneous-opening, ie no primary/secondary action. With two idles and both throats opening together, it could be a bit of a pain to drive sedately and get good economy compared to the 34 ADM.

I don't think it would be much better than a well set up Holley.

If there was a way of modding one to open progressively like on a 34 ADM, that would give you the best of both worlds. Dunno about the specifics of that though, looks like you're going to be the pioneer!

I saw that they weren't a progressive throttle setup like the ADM which meant they would behave like a 2 barrel holley, I was just curious to see if anyone had used one as not much info from Oz about using them on larger engines, most stuff is 4 banger related.