uterus

351 startor motor

The starter motors for manuals have a spacer between the starter and where it bolts to the bell housing. I have used a BF falcon 6 cyl starter on the 302 Cleveland running a manual gearbox. As NZXD said you just have to grind the snout a bit to make it fit.

Just did this to my 302 last weekend. Mine's a manual, so has said spacer. I used a later gear-reduction 6-cyl starter that puts the solenoid at about 8 o'clock instead of 11 o'clock from the front of the engine. You have to be careful when running it in an X-series as it comes close to the pitman arm.

Mods needed are easy and quick. Drill out mounting holes from 5/16" to 3/8, one of them may need to be through-bolted depending on what bellhousing you're running.

Take off about 10mm from the lower edge of the snout to clear the ring gear. This often works out to be to the next rib on the snout. I used a hacksaw the first one i did. Easy peasy. If you cant picture what I'm describing, try mounting the 6-cyl one and see where it hits. It's pretty obvious.

Sorry no pics for you

When I used the El/au starter I didn't have to drill out the mounting holes.

You can get spacers off ebay cheap as, I got a cheap alloy one from procomp of all places but it works.

Nah i understand what you mean by spacer now lol i packed it out 10 mm and its now disengaging after you start it. Thankyou guys i appreciate the help very much and i got hold of an xh starter motor so it fitted in great :)