Sign in to follow this  
LJDB

ebay engines? thoughts

So i brought 2 xflow bottom ends off ebay as a bit of a mystery buy. the guy told me one was a reco that had done 20,000k and the other a speedway engine built by a pro strong speedway cam, better timing chain, pistons, balancer ect. When i get them to work on wednesday il strip them down and have a better look. limited atm due to engine stand being used and shit everywhere. So what i know so far, start off with the one he told me was the speedway engine. 86da block, Its got a modified sump but damaged, pistons part number RA4101z 030. I took the balancer (which looks standard) & timing cover off and no double row timing chain. Removed the chain and gears, cams stamped 250r pull it completely out and its got a ford part number. So this is starting to look dodgey. Turn my look to the other engine with no sump and spin it on its side. bingo i can see a double row chain and a standard JP oil pump. Remove the balancer which looks similar to the standard but alittle different and timing cover. Its a rollmaster multi keyway timing chain set, Remove chain set, cams marked 570, no other real marking. Pistons look shallower than the 1st engine and part number RA9411x 040, 84da block and looks to be balanced as some crank counterweights look to have had some taken off.

Any info on the build would be appreciated or anything i should check or anything people want me to look at/pull apart let me know. i know most speedway guys have there own little tricks maybe we can dissect this engine to see what was done differently to improve/hinder this engine

cant upload pics it tells me they are to large

9411 is an acl 250/250 rod piston with a bowl (not flat top)

Not real sure on the 4101z but a picture might help

Cam is not a Tighe, Crow (or one of their master billets) or Camtech.  Could be a Camtech master grind as their hydraulic cam profiles start with 5 and are 3 numbers long? 

That is all I have.

I stripped the engines alittle more this morning. The reco engine pistons have ACL on the underside and a deeper bowl than the speedway engine. Everything else looked good and clean so i only removed the modified sump which i damaged. Pulled the speedway engine down. Looks to be balance and has arp conrod studs, bearings all looked fine except No.1 & 2 conrod bearings. The block also looked to be zero decked. 

That bearing damage is due to improper cleaning of the block on assembly by the looks.  Pull that cam with the 570 on the snout and see what is on the other end of the cam shaft. 

I'm not real sure about that sump but it may work..

Nothing on the other end of camshaft, the only other marking are CWC, C2 AND H 23 which are all cast into the shaft not stamped. i dont plan of using the sump only put photos up for peoples amusement + my cars a corty. He did give me a good falcon sump also. I already have a pretty good combo in my corty, but i like to tinker and the blocks where cheap.

Ok well maybe contact camtech or just take it to a place that has Cam pro programme to see what it is.  Good score if you got them cheap - balancing and machining costs serious money.

Had crow read the cam. very similar to my current cam. Uploaded pics to photo bucket. Pic in top row is new cam, bottom row is cam in current combo.

So I pulled to sump of the reco engine again. No1,2,3 conrod bearing cap arrows face to the front of the engine and 4,5,6, arrows face to the rear. on the side of the rods/caps they are stamped with which cylinder number they suit and they line up. I thought all arrows are to face toward the front or is it correct, its a 86 da block. pic on photo bucket. Also the pistons are marked acl duralite on the underside.

Ok what i have in total to work with, 3 blocks, 2 heads, 3 cams. What would be the best way to go for an awesome streeter/drag.
Keep in mind its a cortina, 3.7s 4 speed and i already have streetfire msd, tfi dizzy, rollers, 4 barrel 570 street avenger, 'hitech' extractors 2.5 exhaust

78DA

.030" acl 8cc pistons

jp hv oil pump

think standard deck height

not sure if balanced

84DA

.040' acl 8cc pistons

standard jp oil pump

balanced

zero decked

86DA

.030" 22cc acl duralite pistons

.040" deck height

standard oil pump

no balance

early unmarked alloy head hf4

slight porting

milled to around 47cc

h/d springs

standard c1a head

cam 1

inlet 226@.050  .506 lift

exh 234@.050   .524 lift

cam 2 

inlet 222@.050  .515 lift

exh 224@.050 .521 lift

cam 3 

suspected standard 250

My pick would be the 84DA block for a couple of reasons, 1: it's balanced so can rev safely 2: 8cc dish means higher comp means more horsepower 3: Zero deck height is related to 2nd reason more comp and better squish 4: has standard oil pump. Use the unmarked head as that should keep the comp down to pump fuel friendly and has slight porting(which you can improve upon with a die grinder and some direction from one of the very knowledgeable folk on here or if all else fails I can help :) ). Some one with more knowledge will recommend a Cam as they are pretty close but it comes down to head flow and intended use of the car. Lastly what inlet manifold do you have.

i was thinking the 84da aswell but i dont wont the comp to be to high for pump fuel. i have a redline 4 barrel manifold. i also uploaded a pic of the head combustion chamber and the best pic i have of the inlet ports (which is old i now have an electric fuel pump). i dont mind having to buy a bigger cam as i can build the 84da up then just swap the head over when it time to install it all. Thanks for you input by the way.

In my opinion none of those parts marry up well, 84da with unmarked head will still be too high in comp, the 1st cam may bleed off some comp with it's overlap but touch and go for a street engine. You would be crazy not to use the 84da balanced assembly, with the unmarked head maybe the crow master grind 730 on a 110 lsa would get the dynamic comp close for 98 fuel, she will be rather grumpy.

I's use the balanced bottom end without a doubt but I would be searching for an unmarked head that hasn't had too much taken off it and transfer the springs over to that. 

I'm not a fan of either of those cams but if you want to use one then I'd go with the cam 2 - but really you would be better off selling the pair of them and buying a new cam to suit you application.

With some serious chamber work you could get the c1 head out to around 55cc which would bring the comp down a bit around the low 11's high 10's but you would want a decent cam to bleed off a bit of comp and she would be 98 only - which is no biggy really. 

Depends what you want and what your budget is. 

When I measured the comp on the 78da engine with the unmarked head I got low to mid 11 I cant remember exactly. I was having problems with pinging using the first cam and ignition timing was way down. Which head would bring the comp down to a safe level using the 84da with a bigger camshaft.

Wow I did not think the comp was going to be that high with that setup, I always thought the unmarked head had a much larger cc. There you go, I still have a lot to learn.

Put the 3 engine details into a comp calculator using the unmarked head 46cc.

84da =12.5.1 8cc zero deck

78da= 11.3.1 8cc .040 deck

86da= 9.5.1 22cc .040 deck

Seems like I'm going to need a different head if I want to use the 84da bottom end on pump fuel. Will a bigger cam bleed off enough cylinder pressure. 12.5 is massive