Sign in to follow this  
Haf

Rear end shudder

Hey Guys,

I have a 97 XH XR6 5-speed ute with about 185000 km  on it and have just noticed a type of a shuddering or sticking coming from the rear of the car. It always happens at low speeds when reversing into the garage or around the car park. It also seems to only happen when the car is hot, as in I've been driving it for a while at normal operating temperature.

I had Ford replace the diff and manual gearbox oil a few months ago and it's lucky to have driven 2000 km since then.

Has anybody else had a similar problem/noise?

Once the car is travelling over 10 km/h I can't hear or feel the problem at all and it drives perfectly.

Cheers.....

Haf

Apologies if this has been asked in the past but I searched the forums and could not find a thing.

Sounds like a sticking hand brake actuator in the caliper. Common problem for all Fords up to ED. Can be freed up with a bit of degreaser and silicone spray after removing the lever and seal behind it.

+1 check your hand brake lever on the caliper is returning to it's end stop.

If it is it might be time to pull the rear calipers apart and clean out the crap. Can put a kit through the rear calipers while your in there.

I know it sounds stupid, but check for a vaccuum leak, I spent a fortune on new brakes, master cylinder and brake booster, still the same.

Low speed like when ya slowly pull away and it gives a squeal yeah? like the disc pads are sticking....

It's cheap to check yaself before ya go throwing money at it like an idiot (points to self).

Jack.