Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

How to check a diff's condition?

Hey guys,

I have the old 2.77 LSD BW diff from old Ghia wagon sitting around, want to put it in my current wagon so I have LSD functionality.

Just wondering how to check the diff before installing it, don't want to get it in there and discover something is broken.

It suffered quite a smack in the car accident, enough to shift it forward, jam the tailshaft in the gearbox, bend the leaves and somehow snap the metal brake line that runs across it.

The LSD function seems to still work - spinning one side results in the other side spinning the same way. It spins freely/normally, and the axles don't seem to have much/any sidewards movement.

Heya Polson,

Mate, I would be checking the trueness of the axle housings if they were true or not after a shunt like that.

The LSD's can't really be checked externally besides checking for play and bad noises, everything happens in the centre and it and the axles should come out and be checked for wear. I would replace the axle bearings and re-shim the centre before it went in if you want it nice and tight.

Sorry, but there is really not an easy way to see if it's in good condition from the outside.

Jack.

Personally I would swap the open spider gear carrier for the lsd carrier, using the original gears and diff housing your car came with plus it gives you the chance to inspect the lsd before you install it, that is of course if your red wagon allready has a 2.77 diff as 2.77 housings are a little different from the other ratios

I was planning to at least do the axle bearings Jack, figure may as well do the preventative stuff while the axles is apart/out.

Red wagon is 2.77 diff Thom, so no issue there.

Never played with the inside of a diff, how hard it it to swap it over and make it LSD?

Are you swapping the centres over or the entire diff assembly? The way i tested the LSD centre in the XD diff i've got in the XF was have one side jacked up and try to spin the wheel, i couldnt move it so its good.

Another way to test the LSD centre is a road test.

Well I can do either Mark, the Ghias diff looks ready to bolt in (based on external appearance).

But I don't want to go to all the effort of swapping the diffs only to find out the Ghia one is no good.

You need to pop both axles out drain the diff an remove the rear cover, the you will find two saddles that hold the crown wheel and hemisphere in a long with a shim in each side to see the preload on the bearings (do not swap the caps or shims side for side) remove the hemisphere and crown wheel them pull the crown wheel off the hemisphere (the bolts may be left hand thread if they are they will have an L stamped into the head of the bolt, clean up the lsd hemisphere as best you can, the do the same to the other diff, use the shims and crown wheel that belong to the housing, bearings and cones that belong to the hemisphere (unless you replace them), and reverse the process to read assemble 9 times out of 10 they won't be noisey that's the short version you need to check the play and end float on the gears but I don't have a set of specs in front of me to tell you what they are