Fox

Rubbing back and priming?

Hi all

I have a little rust in the rear guard and I am going to have

A crack fixing it unfortunately I don't any experience well in welding I do

But not in paint preparation so could someone please give me a run down on rubbing back and priming.

You are a legend if you could.

Cheers

Short form:

Rub back to metal, key with 80 grit.

Wash down with wax and grease remover and etch prime.

Prime with undercoat and carry out any repairs with filler.

Rub back and smoothe repair.

Reprime and check for high and lows.

Repair if necesary.

reprime nd rub back with 600 wett to prep for final coats.

Final coats and finish.

i got a 60grit disc for my grinder made life alot easier when doing these repairs, just grind back until its all shiny again then use filler, try to use as less as possible and get it smooth to save time sanding. 

you have to hand sand when dry and i found spraying some wax and grease remover on the filler after sanding will show up anything you have missed 

9EFB727B-7101-42AC-AB53-C06BF60776E5_zps

786436E5-2074-4C57-8A34-F2D534369E76_zps

0A794267-57A6-47F0-97F9-CEFA74531844_zps

on this pic you can on the right hand side i did not smooth enough from filler to the original paint so therefor i ended up with a pain run.

IMAG0078_zpspugwjb0l.jpg

simple cut rust out,

don't bog over it as this makes it come back much worse

grind and clean the area around the rust and treat an y remaining spider rust or rust spots with a good rust convertor

do you welding only spot welding ,as to much heat wil fuck the whole panel trust me I do this for a living grind or linch to a smooth finish ,then follow James advice ,cheers n enjoy

Has anyone mentioned guide coating. Once you've primed....apply a light dusting of a contrasting paint (black) from a can. Any matte paint from a spray can will do but i like the stuff that can be removed by prepsol-prewash. Wet sand this back (600-800 grit). Sanding will reveal surface imperfections as the guide coat will remain in low areas of the repaired area that may need further repair. If the imperfections are minor - say scratches - further wet sanding may remove the offending features. Alternatively, a generous coat of primer-filler (thick primer) with guide coating again may solve the problem. Guide coating is great for show areas where body filler hasn't been properly blended with the surrounding area. This will show up like the proverbial dogs balls once the top coat is applied.

I'm just a backyard hack with a desire for a good finish but skill set that doesn't quite match. If you're anything like me..a repair may need several iterations before it's acceptable. Ya back yarder can achieve a good result....it just requires patience - don't rush. It takes multiple times longer for a hobbyist to achieve a professional-looking result - but it can be done.