Sign in to follow this  
SLO247

Best sounding muffler-AU 5.0

I need to change the muffler on my AU 5.0. I'm running a 2.5" catback with some random muffler. Its not too loud but sounds like shit, sounds like a 6 half the time.

So I'd like reccomendations on a 2.5" unit that sounds beefy. I keep hearing about Hooker Aerochambers, I've also heard Lukey Glasspack units are good. Just want it to sound better than it does.

Needs to stay legal, is an auto and has stock manifolds. Have a set off a 220 lined up. From my experience you can get away with a single muffler on these, I've never run a resonator. No idea what mufflers I had on my other 5.0s though!

Mate I have just finished my twin 2.5 to 3in single system with just the one hooker aerochamber and to be honest im in bloody love with it awesome quality in fabrication sounds awesome and is pretty cheap id recommend, I was running a lukey race on my old exhaust and it was ok but I would buy another hooker,

Hope it helps

Cheers Jake...

The best way to get some V8 rumble is to go twin cats and twin system. Next best is twin cats and resonators then joining to a single muffler before the diff. Using a single cat will merge the V8 pulses early on and you'll end up with a monotonous tone (like a 6 as you described). Not running a resonator could have your car droning like a bitch but it's hard to predict that.

It still has two cats and the factory Y piece. I guess its a "Y piece back" exhaust.

I was happy with the note from my old NF. Same motor, 2.5" single and unknown muffler. Did have extractors though. I'm expecting extractors to improve it a bit but I know the muffler is the problem as even my mates stock EF 5.0 with a standard exhaust and leaky rear resonator sounds better.

An Aerochamber is looking likely at this point.

Oh yeah sorry forgot, early e-series had single cats. I think with the twins that's how they got 175kw up from 165 on a single. Hooker aerochamber should sound sweet. Can be a bit slappy or raspy but the cats normally kill that off and mellow it out lots.