Sign in to follow this  
gerg

"Reco" heads - blowing smoke on startup

Yes Ando I do agree, especially with the last bit, I saw the oil coming out of my rockers when I had the covers off and it absolutely pissed out the top of each pushrod hole and I thought that was from too much pressure. I briefly looked at my old oil pump and there was some scoring on the relief piston and the rotor was pretty fucked too so I think it's copped some metal from the first cam and lifters that got totalled. I did notice that my oil thinned out very quickly and it wasn't from dilution, maybe your aeration problem is what happened. I noticed too that when the oil was a bit low, I'd get starvation under braking and right hand corners. Maybe my pickup was a bit skewiff sucking air?

I've done nothing to the engine as far as oil drainbacks/smoothing, etc at all. It's just a healthy little 302 with a little cam, built for cruising and nothing over 5500 rpm. It just uses a bit of oil. Everything else is pretty good.

I don't touch Magnatec after opening up an engine that had been run with it for years, sludgy coating on everything, blocked up lifters. I'd agree with if it's smoking on start up only it would be stem seals, if it was rings it'd be either all the time or when you nail the throttle in my experience. 

Good advice there BBS, put that one about magnatec in the old memory bank. Mine blows a puff for a couple of seconds on hot startup but once underway, she's clean as a whistle. Especially so when doing the headlight test at night: nail it away from the car behind and look for a cloud in front of their headlights... Nothing!

I had that issue with a clevo once, turned out the intake gasket on the passenger side head had a split in no 7 would only blow smoke on startup when it was warm

Agreed +2, on the Magnatec. Total crap.

Gerg, you mentioned the oil wasn't diluted, your carby all good.? Haven't got fuel leaking into the sump?

Love the Penrite. Change every 5,000 kms, it gets a bit skinny at 10,000.

magnatec is absolute junk, i hate the shit. so sick of people ragging on about how good it is too.

try explaining to a customer that because they've run magnatec i now need to rebuild the motor or at least the head, they LOOSE it, and then blame you for their mistakes.

thom is onto something also, the intake gasket on mine had done the same thing.

last point, penrite hpr30 is probably the best oil in these things for daily use, either that or the hpr diesel 20w60, unless you go their race grade oils (which are maaaaad)

stem seals, as already said, change them to EB/D style. you won't look back.

Ok so starvation and under braking and right hand corners equals check the pick up to sump clearance.  A standard volume pump is a highly efficient thing and will pump a stupid amount of oil out through the pushrods, especially when the oil is thin (stressed).

But all this is irrelevant to the puffing when cold thing.  I'd be checking all the above things first and ditching all things Castrol. Carbon Castrol it was once described to me and I have to agree.