Sign in to follow this  
Ecksef

Third Row Seating

Anyone here able to, or know of an engineer in the South Eastern of Melb that can install third row seating (dickie seats)?

Looking at an alternative to selling a perfectly good family car and downgrading to a Kia Carnival or the like.

Can get third rows relatively cheap, however the dealer refuses to install anything that's second hand because they "can't get the installation instructions" - what a load of shit. I'm not paying out $3k for a fucking third row.

5th kid due mid Oct and I'm running out of time!

TIA

Cheers,

-Nate

Theres a company in Adelaide that fits seats called Willshire Motor trimmers. They fitted an after market seat to our Territory. 

Guy called Peter is very knowledgeable, could give you the right advice you need.

(08) 8292 2500

Barry Chitts in Caulfield signed my XE  Monty wags 3rd row seat off for me but that was 25 years ago. I expect he'd be dead. Even though it was factory fitted, it didn't meet regs and I had to do a simple mod, under his instruction, for him to ok it. 

Late Commodore seats are bolt in, stacks on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-VT-VX-VY-VZ-AWD-WAGON-3RD-ROW-DICKY-SEAT-17-27-/251491779178?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8e14026a&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-COMMODORE-WAGON-CHILD-DICKIE-SEAT-COMPLETE-THIRD-ROW-SEAT-/171356418195?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e5a37093&_uhb=1

I know there's stacks on eBay. And not actually bolt in, there are no pre drilled holes in the commodore, and these ones bolt into chassis.

Got myself a third row through a Holden surplus wholesaler with all installation instructions and template. Being installed as per Holden's instructions means being a seat only rated for children upto 12yo, it doesn't need engineering. Pretty straight forward install, just need to drop the petrol tank to put one bolt in.

They're category 2 and 3 seats (children upto 12yo), genuine Holden seats, fitted as per Holden's installation instructions, so they'll be mounted where they're meant to be. Vicroads states that seats for children installed as per car manufacturers instructions don't need to be engineered. Only additional seats intended for adults or aftermarket/not fitted in same way as factory, need to be engineered.

The only downside, I have to drop the petrol tank for one or two bolts - but that's an ok price to pay (not that it's costing me) to have the two older kids (8yo and 6yo) safely seated in the cargo area when all 7 of us are in the car.