Sign in to follow this  
Trevor

how many?

We are currently running a mechanical oil pressure gauge and a oil pressure shut off switch for the engine (it is a track car) from the journal at the top rear of the Clevo, we are running an oil line from the oil journal from near where the fuel pump would normally sits up to the top journal, so effectively we have 3 things going on at the top

We want to run a oil temp gauge, but not sure where to do it from, any suggestions?

wet sump with an oil cooler in the left hand headlight, we have used a sandwich plate behind the oil filter for the oil cooler

You've gotta work out why you give a fuck about your oil temp.

Get one of these, fit it to your oil system, put your temp sensor AFTER this. Check that this works and maintains the temperature. If all that works, move the temp sensor to BEFORE the thermostat so you know when your oil is up to temp and just how hot it is getting.

I sort of dont understand why you want to measure something that you dont intend on controlling.

It'd be like counting how many cows are getting out of the paddock. Dont bother checking unless you are gonna keep the cunts under control.

Sandwich plate is fine i reckon.  I run one from there and works great. 

In response to ILIED, a track car runs at near max revs most of the time it's out on track, an oil temp problem can destroy bearings, rings etc, even though the water temp can still be within reason.  If you can keep an eye on it, why would'nt you want to monitor it, expensive fail if you didn't.

I get that. Thats why I suggest a thermostat.
Simply watching it isnt much good, I reckon.

My FG has oil temp and yeah I can check it, but if it did get hot, all I could do is stop. That makes for shit laps

An FG is a tad different to 1976 Cleveland 351 - just sayin'

Thanks Steve, I am not sure if there is a place in the sandwich plate, but I will have alook

I cant help but think that I'm appearing stupid here.

Yeah, a Coyote is different to a Cleveland, but in response to being on a track, measuring and controlling oil temperature, please explain to me why they shouldnt be both looked at in the same regard.

If you'd like to take the details further, it is of more importance on the Coyote than a Cleveland because of the oil cooled pistons the Coyote has.

I understand the necessity to keep oil temps safe.

I'm not against measuring the oil temp.

Can you tell me a good reason why you shouldnt run a thermostat for your oil cooler?

Trev - to answer your question I think a bung in the sump is the best place to monitor oil temps.  If you can get it close to the area where you pick up is, but on the side of the sump not underneath where it will get damaged.

monitoring oil temps is a great idea as you can see how much of a flogging you are giving the oil and then you can dump it when it needs it - not when you feel like changing it.

All oil starts to break down after 90c - only slightly but it does start to.  I have just fitted an oil temp gauge to my speedway engine after years of not running one.  I can tell you that I am glad I have.  On a recent test I saw oil temps as high as 135c.  Knowing these temps gave me some hard data to approach my local FUCHS oil sponsor with so he could then get onto the techs and ask about service intervals.  Without that hard data I would have been guessing.

Also this data has given me the knowledge now to go ahead with my 'off circuit' oil cooling system.  I will be running a diff cooler pump to pull oil from the sump and push it thru a PWR oil cooler that uses your cooled radiator water to cool the oil.  Street Machine did a feature on these coolers a few months back but they have been around for a good while.

My reason for going 'off circuit' cooling rather that the traditional sandwich plate is that I have seen too much pressure drop when using sandwich plates - even with massive lines.  In addition I will be able to run the cooler with the engine switched off. 

But hey each to their own. 

chaise were you drinking early yesterday? lol

i can see why you would worry about getting oil temps up there, i know i used to have to keep an eye on my 180sx when i gave it a hiding, having a gauge will give you an idea of the temps you're hitting....  as for cooling it down, just a small thermo on the back of a cooler should do it.

my beamer used to have the oil temp sensor in the sump if it helps. (factory location)

Yeah, agreed. In the sump. If it gets hot, run a small thermo fan behind your oil cooler.  Bigger sump might help to, Hi-Energy or a " Phase IV " winged sump.

Think the Hi-Energy run about 10 litres of oil.

Imo it doesnt matter where you put it.. put it in. I had mine mounted in a remote filter before the cooler but it is all relative if the oil is excessively hot something is not right in the engine. Oil temp is the biggest indicator if engine internals are happy. In my case an issue with bearing cap alignment on a scat rod caused me to peg a 280f oil temp gauge yet engine temp was only 170f.

We are running a mid range ASR sump, bloody great it is, as I said we have an oil cooler in the left hand headlight.

I like the idea of it being in the sump

Thanks for great advice Ando, Steve, butcha, bear and XC

The sump is obviously going to give you slightly more accurate temps, but at the sandwich plate on the block is only minutely diff in temp, and easier to do than pulling the sump off.  ILIED, Imo a thermostat in the oil system is overkill for what we are doing, not saying it's a bad idea at all, but I think Trev just wants to know whether the oil is getting up to a temp that may cause damage to the engine, if it's fine then thats OK but if it's getting hot, then a larger oil cooler or repositioning might be needed.

depends on oil grade too, some oils are a lot more stable at higher temperatures and dont boil off as easy or loose their qualities at higher temperatures. race oils are great for this, downside is low detergents.

ASR sumps are probably the best you can get in AUS tbh, if you are worried about damaging it by tapping a thread maybe pull it off and do it on a bench-top.

spoke to BM tech (one of my best mates) today about the temp sensor in the sump, he said it provides a more accurate reading and stops temps from fluctuating by not putting it in a spot where the oil simply passes through or drains back.

obviously as has been advised don't put the sender in the bottom of the sump, if you can weld a bung onto the side of the sump about the same level as the pickup, maybe 10mm below it, but that's about where mine was mounted from memory on my 180. bmw was in the mid section of the sump (sump is 3 parts, bottom of the block, mid sump, and sump pan which is only 100mm deep)