Sign in to follow this  
hendrixhc

Brake boosters and Master cylinder Compatibility.

So i pulled the master cylinder of the XC today cause its leaking and found out its identical to the XE master cylinder with the 3 ports for lines and 1 port for the switch. This leads me to believe they are compatible.

I started up the old girl, just to give her a run, and there was a loud whistling noise coming from round the pin on the booster. If i pushed it back in a bit it stopped. I had a look at the one on the XE and pin appears to be "fixed" in the booster and not free floating like the XCs.

This leads me to believe the XC one is stuffed. If memory serves me correctly i had heard that whistle a couple of times while driving.

Question is, is the XE and XC boosters the same? If they are ill use the good one from the XE in Lucy for now and look at getting a chrome one for the XE.

Other question is does any one know if these chrome boosters are compatible or is there one that has been used in an XE?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHROME-BRAKE-BOOSTER-8-DOUBLE-DIAPHRAGM-CHEV-FORD-HOLDEN-S3908-/250922378027?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6c23a32b&_uhb=1

Booster will have to be pulled apart, if you want to get it chromed. ( If you haven't done one before, "dont try this at home" ! ) Sounds like the diaphragm inside is leaking. If you pump the brakes, does the engine change idle??