Sign in to follow this  
n00bus m@x1mus

Tremec T5 question

Ok i have a curly one that im hoping someone can help with, ive got a Tremec 5 speed from an AUIII XR6 and i aim to fit it behind an AU motor in an XG ute. The 4.0L is almost the same dimensionally as the 250xflow with the sandwich plate in the same location, the 4spd auto in an XG is the same length totally and to the xmember mounting points as the XF T5 box and the Diff is in the same place from XF to XG... so they share the same tailshaft length if you get where im going here.

So now we go to the AU T5... its around 45mm longer from sandwich plate to output shaft seal than the XF T5 meaning that i will need to shorten my current tailshaft to fit this box in place of whats in there now.

So the only way i can see this working is if the manual AUs had a shorter tailshaft than the autos did, and if the wheel base is the same as XF then i will need a manual shaft to fit all this into my XG?

Does anyone have an AU XR6 utility or wagon on hand that can measure the wheel base and the tailshaft length for me please? I dont want to shell out coin to shorten my tailshaft when i could pick one up from a wreck somewhere if its at all possible.

Cheers.

Who is this noob guy? He does post updates in his build thread any more!

Seriously would like to see what you've been up to with it Clint, I know photography has been keeping you plenty busy!

Thom is right! I think there is a couple of inches difference? How much short does it need to be?

Ill get some exact measurements today guys as its been a little while so ive forgotten what it is. Its less then needed for a sedan shaft but cause i asked myself that question back then and thought no. But thinking about it again now maybe with a 20mm thick hub spacer or similar on the yoke flange it might just come up trumps?

No real progress on anything to report guys sorry, i was busy last year with photography then had a well earned holiday and now its slack as hahaha. it was expected but i kind of hand my hopes up that it wouldnt be this bad. So i kind of am broke and in need of a second job really to start getting back into playing car.

I was just talking about this yesterday with someone so it was fresh and thought id ask it here :P