Sign in to follow this  
XF001

Noise in T5 gearbox

Just put a t5 in my XF and when driving along in 4th when you take your foot of the accelerator and coast in traffic, there is a whine in 4th gear. It wasn't like this when it was in my other falcon. Any ideas??

While the gearbox is under load (driving along) there is no noise. It only comes out when you remove your foot off the accelerator and coast like when you are approching a red light and it is only in 4th gear. It doesn't matter what speed you are doing

That's very strange considering 4th is the only "gear" that is direct drive (no gears actually involved), so there should be no force on the gearset or the bearings in 4th, thus no noise.

Have you ruled out the diff?

I assumed it was the gearbox because I don't remember hearing the noise while it had an auto box in it.

Sounds kinda like forked bearing in the gearbox but that is unusual for 4th...

You could try dropping your box oil and checking the color, Then stick a good strong telescopic magnet in the box and drag it out, see if you pick up a heap of shit with it.

Put in new spigot and oil is brand new. New clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I only noticed the noise on Saturday. I will have to jack the car back up and recheck the oil level in the gearbox and check the diff as well.

The oil that came out of the box when I removed it from my other XF was a good colour as well.