Sign in to follow this  
LJDB

250 xflow xe electronic dizzy

Hi guys I got a xe dizzy recod and regraphed to suit my corty. It's got 10.3:1 comp, 230@50 cam, Msd street fire Cdi and coil, 500 Holley. It's says to set it at 10" do u guys think that's a little low. I'm not sure what the standard setting is but I was expecting to have to set it higher at idle. I haven't had the chance to take it for a good drive but I'm hoping it doesn't run on when turning it off. I wanna make sure I didn't get ripped off and they actually regraphed it.

but how much total does it have? thats the thing

10 static and about 30 total so you can go to about 35 then the static will be at 15

put it in and then run it up with a timing light if it goes past say 30 it may not be right

running on with not always be timing related plug range and tune will play a part

I'd run colder plugs for sure...start at NGK7's maybe if it has 10.3 with and I'd start at no less then 14 degree's initial and 30-32 total.

Ideally I would suggested you went for a stock TFI hall's effect dizzy with all the timing in at the crank for a better package from what I have found out with ignitions on these things.Ask anyone who did the conversion how much better they work and for the cost of a $50 wrecker dizzy.  

I'm gonna check the total timing when I get a chance. I had a tfi setup in it and there is no doubt they work but for my combo and being a street car I feel it will be better suited to have a graph. Easier starting and a little more response down low. I know the best thing would be a programmable msd but its a budget build. I suppose I need to fiddle around with it first to see if I can set it higher at idle and not ping under wot or see how it goes at 10"

If you had the TFI/MSD combo you would "NOT" be going to a electronic as it starts way easier on the TFI and there is no way my basic combo had better response down low with a electronic dizzy,it's the opposite infact.I have run a fully adjustable timing computor on mine before and with it having a low initial setting it was a absolute dog.Even now with the roller cammed engine only having about 24 degrees timing in it you can tell by how slow it revs it's far from happy.Yes it was just for run in but at idle you can tell it wants more timing not less.

Still it's your car so I wish you luck with it bro and recommend you go to a colder NGK7 atleast and try it with 12-14 degrees initial.

I had mine locked at 32 and it would barely turn over. Now this is only a trial if it doesn't go better or I wanna back to the tfi then I can because I left the loom in place. Only a matter of changing the dizzy.

It's an original te cortina big shity starter and Ngk 5 plugs. It's the misses bday today so I won't get a chance to play around with it. I think I got some 7s around somewhere. Hopefully tomorrow I get a chance to take it for a spin and check what sort of graph is in the dizzy.

You should be able to check the graph on the dizzy by simply disconnecting the vac diaphragm (if it has one) and revving the engine to about 3500 with a timing light. It's my understanding mechanical dizzys usually have all timing in by 3-4000rpm, Piss easy to give it a rev through there and check with a timing light, plot it on graph paper for every 500rpm till its all in. Then you'll know before you even get on the street what the dizzy is doing.

or am i complementary wrong?

That's what I plan on doing crazy but getting the misses to hold certain revs while I check it is a whole different story. Plus the neighbours love the Corty revving up on a quite sat/sun morning

Saturday is the day for rev's LOL...Go for a E series or AU style starter and that fixs the slow starts dead.Mine winds over like it's got no plugs in it with the E series starter at 34 degrees TFI and the benefit is they are smaller and have more output for less current draw.Yes this is the old solid cammed engine not the roller cammed unit but the roller is easier again.

Q is more or less correct with what he is saying but I would have mine in by 3000 with that camshaft...The colder plugs will start a bit harder in theory but they rev better anyway but I never had a issue really. 

So this was the day of revs. The xe dizzy set at 10 had a total of bout 30. Didn't seem to pull as hard and it pinged randomly at wot. So I backed it off to stop pinging and it just didn't feel the same. It also popped and farted when i turned it off. Hot day and the engine temp was up so I went home and looked for spark plugs. I found some bp6es and whacked them in and no real difference. So in goes the tfi set the timing to 34 and she was back. Pinged alittle so I backed it off till it stopped at 28/29. So I'm off to pick apart during the week for a starter. Day of revs over for now

yeah i use 98 octane and iv tried the 100 octane from united that has ethanol. i went to repco on my way home and what do you know they only had 2 bp7's. typical spare parts, who ever only needed 2 spark plugs. not many cars getting around with a v twin under the bonnet