Sign in to follow this  
Clevo120Y

crossflow valve springs

Looking for peoples feed back, I just bought a digital valve spring tester and wanted to just make sure it works, put a stock crossy spring in it, compressed it to 1.8in and got a reading of 30 pounds, that is seriously low, has anyone else tested them before, also I tried a stock Windsor spring and got the same result.

Ive done rough tests using a set of household scales under my press and when squashed to the installed height i got around the 60lb mark for stock springs and around 90lbs for an old set of 110lb double crow springs. You could try a similar test to compare your digital unit.... is there any calibration instructions to follow?

Yeah i know. I went ages chasing my tail with ignition advance and injector flow trying to aleviate a horrible drop in power at 4200rpm.. it was like a rev limiter, back off to 4000rpm and it would spring into life again. Someone suggested i get new valve springs and hello 6k no probs.

Yes I imagine that the poor old valve would have been in a state of shock at those rpm with that poundage, but then again these engines were built for a purpose and going to 6000 was never in the plan.