Sign in to follow this  
adrianphu123

squealing wheel

Hey guys, this week has culminated in a double penetration of issues. The drivers side wheel is squealing when turned backwards only by hand ie. front jacked up and turned by hand without brakes applied. It will not do it when turned forwards.

Wheel bearings were replaced last year, slotted rotors with bendix general ct pads.

Also started noticing a rough spot/vibration in one spot, only when reversing and turning.

Tie rods were replaced last year, just greased them today but didnt help the problem.

any ideas? are they related or two seperate problems?

thanks guys

Brake pad come loose and the top leans in whilst reversing but not wen going forwards as it will be pushing away. Thats my guess and vibration caused by same thing but thats only guessing mate. Or maybe a rock caught in there or something.

Hey Adrian if your disc has no drag on it then your caliper hasn't seized, sounds like your pad backing shim is wonky and has pushed the pad out against the disc on the trailing side, so in reverse it grabs the pad and causes the squeal you mentioned.

The tight spot could be a dicky ball joint, tie rod or something funky going on in your steering box. Unfortunately the only way to isolate the problem is to start unbolting bits and one-by-one, move them find the component that's binding up.

Think you guys might be on the ball, put pressure on the pad and even though it didnt seem to move, the squeal is more or less gone. I'll keep looking for the rough spot, the steering seems to have a slight groan when turned

your pads might have glazed up? i had bendix pads in the front of the last ZL and they started squeaking, but it got wiped out before i had a chance to suss it out.

Sounds like your steering box, if it groans when turning the wheel.....

Brake pads are usually fitted with an anti-rattle spring, a lot of people ditch them. Some old farts used to to silastic a bit of cardboard on the back of the pad. :blink:

Brake rotors have 'run-out'. Basically a slight wobble when they rotate, this makes the pads 'vibrate' in the caliper.