Sign in to follow this  
Ando81

24v from 12v system

Hi all, I just bought a light bar to put on my xf ute and wondered if anyone knows if I can get 24volts out of my 12volt system. The light is rated at 9-32volts and 90watt so I thought 24 would be brighter than 12 if it is possible to use a step up transformer. I don't want to run my whole ute on 24, just the light bar. Any thoughts or is it best sticking with 12v

Hi mate, if its an LED unit, it will have plenty of light at 12v supply. I've used them at work and light output was never a drama...

Test it directly onto the battery to give you an idea..

Cheers fellas, I was thinking that they may be regulated like that, have read how some people on trucks reckon they put out more light but I think a lot if it has to do with how clean terminals are and cable size etc.

Trust me, I won't be one if those losers that goes around blinding everyone with my lights as it is a pet hate of mine. I will only use it to light up the road/paddocks when I'm spotlighting and when there is no other cars around:)

Like what Hendrix said, the input voltage has no bearing on what light it puts out. It would be reg'd back down to suit the low voltage requirement of LEDs anyway. Most electronics, including LEDs, run on 5 volts, some use as little as 2V.