Sign in to follow this  
Supersnake

Points ignition in black block cleveland

G'day guy, Ive had my ZJ Fairlane for around 6 months but only just got around to checking the distributor, well turns out its a points dizzy. Haven't pulled it out to measure the shaft. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? I assume the electronic one has been replaced, just seems weird. Works well though lol

Thanks guys, yeah it's the original engine so I assume it's a black block. It is a May 1979 so one of the first fairlanes out of the Brisbane factory, not sure if that makes a difference.

Cheers

xc falcon ran a different type of electric dizzy n module,and the 1st system ford used  ,being that yours is an xd fairy it wouldnt have had a points dizzy ,is yours a matching numbers car.

Yeah it's a matching numbers car, like you said I could understand if it maybe had the XC style electronic ignition. I guess someone must have turned down a points dizzy for it at some stage.

Thanks guys 

Yeah it's a matching numbers car, like you said I could understand if it maybe had the XC style electronic ignition. I guess someone must have turned down a points dizzy for it at some stage.

Thanks guys

Yep that's the most plausible conclusion you could draw. If you know how to operate a lathe, it's about a 2-minute job once you dismantle the dizzy. The difference is less than a millimetre between the two. In fact, if you were dodgy enough, a cordless drill and a linishing belt are all you need.