Mr Polson

Rear Demister

My rear demister in the wagon doesn't work. At all. Quite annoying not being able to see behind me all the time in the lovely weather Tassie is getting.

How can I check where the problem is?

Also, I have two demister switches... Normal one in the Ghia dash that brings on the demister light in the cluster...

Then an added flick switch down near the spot light/rear wiper buttons titled demister. This doesn't bring on demister light.

Neither switch seems to work the demister.

Oh, windows are tinted... Not sure if that can make a difference? It looks to be rather old tint too.

Mine didn't seem to work at all, but then my back window was clear... Like seemed sudden<br />And mines tinted as well

Turn the demister on, grab a test light (ca get them at any auto parts store), earth it on the parcel shelf sheetmetal and touch the demister bars all the way along the window. No light = No demister. Check near the terminals next then work your way along the wiring to see where you get a light (power). On mine found the entire demister was cactus so replaced the screen as it was my daily driver at the time. Hope this helps.

never tried this stuff but its meant to re join broken tracks in the demister.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Rear-Window-Demister-Repair-Kit-Brand-New-/400379264670

as mentioned, check you have power at the window first with a test light or multimeter(guessing it wont if the light isnt lit on the dash)(the globe in the dash might be part of the circuit even, so might pay to check the globe too?)

never tried this stuff but its meant to re join broken tracks in the demister.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Rear-Window-Demister-Repair-Kit-Brand-New-/400379264670

as mentioned, check you have power at the window first with a test light or multimeter(guessing it wont if the light isnt lit on the dash)(the globe in the dash might be part of the circuit even, so might pay to check the globe too?)

might have to get some of this and try it, good skills deankdx

Right, put the multi meter on the demister today. At the contact points (where demister is joined to wires) I have 9ish volts. Therefore it must be the demister itself yeah?

i would guess so.

if you know which side is + and which is neg, you should be able to earth the multimeter neg on the body, and probe the demister in different places till you see where its broken? i would assume

Well one has a pink wire other has a black one. Would assume black is neg?

Cant touch with multi meter, rear window has stick on tint...

cant assume too much with ford..

my brain is in off mode.. might try make a tutorial on how to check it later