jamie247

help build my new 351 cleveland

450hp is a sounds a bit rich for a good honest streeter, id stick to 400hp and that is probably getting up near the driveable ceiling.

Does anyone hear realise that Dick Johnson ran a cam around 260 degrees advertised duration and had only 450 hp? And that was a race engine with 4v's.

I could be wrong but i'm almost certain that neither greens tuf or tru blu had 4v heads. The rules wouldn't have allowed them at that time. I think they even had to run the shitty standard cast iron intake manifold with maybe the exception of the 1984 greens tuf.

I couldn't see why you couldn't build an honest 450hp streeter with whats so readily available these days.

I'm looking at building a 600hp demon reving at 7200-8000rpm i'm thinking keeping standard bore but stroking it to a 393 etc, chi heads and manifold to match 750 holley big cams etc what should I set aside budget wise

My old mans 393 uses a forged scat crank and rods with srp forged pistons billet Steel 4 bolt main caps, crank girdle, chi 2v's tfc intake edelbrock 750 cfm carb, 1 7/8" primarys on the headers and a comp solid roller cam (0.696" lift and 284@ 0.050") made 543 rwhp @ 6400rpm- 7300rpm so they can rev as long as you use the right components but in reality it does need a bigger carb but it's streetable as is

xeeclipse; 400hp is easily daily driveable in a 351, i still have no idea why you think anything with HP is undriveable, shit i've driven a 307 windsor with over 550hp, even that was streetable, you just have to accept it isn't going to drive like stock.

dick johnsons motors were not 4v clevelands, they were 2v open chamber heads, want to know how i know? rob martini (the guy who does my heads) used to build them, and those motors were so restricted its not funny.

if you want 600 RELIABLE horsepower, mate my first point of call would be to call Jason Murphy at murphys speed shop in towoomba QLD, it can be done for less than 10k, but i think you will struggle with that not building the engine yourself and not being able to source parts at the prices you will need to, to make it all happen for that price, i think by the time its in the car and tuned, (excluding driveline & assuming you dont do any of the work yourself) your up for near 16k, RPM is not an issue if it's built right (hence jason murphy)

i honestly think the hyd roller combo i gave you earlier will more than satisfy your tastebuds, its reliable, low maitenance and its all off the shelf, and if you build the bottom end properly, there's going to be room in it to slot a bigger cam in and go for more power if you decide later on thats what you want. if you have the extra money to spend on a stroker, it can't hurt, just means more torque, if you slot the camtech cam i listed in with a 393 you are going to be laying black lines down for as long as you want, it aint going to be a race motor, but its going to be a tough street motor that with the right gearing will see you well into the low 11s range (with the 393) in an XA-E falcon (XD/E will be quicker than XABC, they're a good few hundred kilos lighter)

thom can you put a vid up of that thing man, it sounds mental, and buy him a prosystems carb for fathers day, go on, be a good son!

Machine work was by TFC/Southside engine reconditioners in yarraville, assembled at home buy my old man and myself, the parts and machining cost was around $10,000 (but then add the cost the driveline and fuel system required to make it reliable and it's up around $18,000) but I think this sums up the situation a4ejy6as.jpg

HOLY GRAIL OF DRIVEABILITY.......

-Mustn't have a high stall

-Have no shorter diff gears then 3.5

-At idle it doesn't burn your eyeballs into submission

-Doesn't require plugs to be cleaned after every cruise

-Can last a minimum 0f 5,000kms between oil changes

-Starts first thing in the morning

- has no flat spot off idle

All this and making 500hp at the crank is my prerequisite for a street engine....Others can have their extra 100hp, but I know what I want and that is all that matters.

other than the no high stall (which i really dont understand and think you must be quite out of date with how driveable high stall converters are now) the combo i listed will fill all those prerequisites, most of those are related to tuning actually....

good luck with a stock stall speed (2000rpm) a genuine 500hp with 0 bogging down. unless you have 420+ci you are really going to struggle with that one.

thom smacked the nail on the head with that triangle.

HOLY GRAIL OF DRIVEABILITY.......

-Mustn't have a high stall

-Have no shorter diff gears then 3.5

-At idle it doesn't burn your eyeballs into submission

-Doesn't require plugs to be cleaned after every cruise

-Can last a minimum 0f 5,000kms between oil changes

-Starts first thing in the morning

- has no flat spot off idle

All this and making 500hp at the crank is my prerequisite for a street engine....Others can have their extra 100hp, but I know what I want and that is all that matters.

So, no 1 no highstall (it's a manual) no 2 has 3.89 diff gears, but a 31 inch tall tyre and with the 5 speed sits at 2150 rpm at 100ks no 3 most car running unleaded without cats will smell bad when running no 4 first set of plugs lasted 40,000km without being pulled out in that time no 5 lasts 8,00plus between oil changes no 6 two pumps of the throttle and it sits there and Idles from dead cold without a choke no 6 no flat spots can be driven in all gears below 1000 rpm and have the throttle nailed with no bogging down. It's reliable enough to drive from Melbourne to Perth and back and returned 11.7 l per 100ks while doing so, in the 3 years that engine has been in the car it has done 45,000ks, with the only issue being a broken roller rocker, they can be reliable if you put the outlay on quality parts to start off with

still going to bog down? even if it was in a corty the engine will be out of its torque band, thus it will bog down instead of launching out of the hole. dont you think Jon Kaase and the likes would have sorted this issue out by now if it could be done? unless you're putting a twin screw blower on top i can't see it happening. best of luck to you in trying to acheive this, you're going to have a lot of customers knocking at your door if you do.

decent size hyd roller will see you well over the 500hp mark.

contact camtech, tell them what you want, let them do the work. reap the rewards of their hard work.

It would get well over 500hp I'm sure but for once I'd like an engine that runs nice and clean at idle. Loseing my job in April of this year has put a spanner in the works :(

It would get well over 500hp I'm sure but for once I'd like an engine that runs nice and clean at idle. Loseing my job in April of this year has put a spanner in the works :(

that can put a bit of a strain on things, but of you can motor on through it you'll get there

having no work certainly sucks the way of the country unfortunately I will probs be in this vote may nest year when our new ceo at edi decides that labour hire is the best thing in his opinion cause when works low in his words just send the guys fishing for 3 months

Barely any ytudygym.jpg aqe3a8yg.jpg that's the entire exhaust except for two short 2 1/2 inch tail pipes the mufflers are just two 14" long 2 1/2" redback hot dogs

You have much to do with the warratah project?

nah that was built at Cardiff NSW i'm in Maryborough QLD we built the pan pacific locos and qr national ones, we built the qr rail trains for Brisbane cq02/03 and purd contract for perth, now we just did refurbishment on cairns tilt and halfway through 7 new tilt cars for cairns then it's all maintenance work in dribs and drabs so we are hearing 60 to go by xmas and the new guy running the show wants to sack us all and re hire under contract labour :angry:

nah that was built at Cardiff NSW i'm in Maryborough QLD we built the pan pacific locos and qr national ones, we built the qr rail trains for Brisbane cq02/03 and purd contract for perth, now we just did refurbishment on cairns tilt and halfway through 7 new tilt cars for cairns then it's all maintenance work in dribs and drabs so we are hearing 60 to go by xmas and the new guy running the show wants to sack us all and re hire under contract labour :angry:

Everyone is being put on contracts these days because of the ease at which they can give you the flick.

The RACV used to have a vast road service fleet, now they prefer to employ contractors to do their so called 'dirty work'. They rather pour their money into their resorts and insurance side of the business as seen in the monthly issues of ROYAL AUTO. Why you may ask? Because roadside service ain't as simple as it used to be and their sick of dealing with complaints, not to mention it tarnishes their reputation.