Sign in to follow this  
Jeremyxe

Help 350 Holley choke.

Hey guys not long ago I put a 350 Holley on my crossy , a problem that I can't seem to set up right is the manual choke cable.

Have watched the Holley DVD on how to install it properly and done exactly what they told me. Though when I pull on the choke the revs don't change at all ? Have made sure everything is moving right and it all is ?

If anyone knows what could be wrong it would be awesome to find out haha . Or is it easier just to ditch it for an electric choke ? :/

Thanks.

If you can confirm that the choke plate is opening and closing, your idle-up adjustment needs some tweaking. The choke mechanism has a cam that acts on an adjustable bolt on the throttle shaft under the choke assembly. This bolt needs to be wound out so the throttle opens slightly when you pull the choke lever.

On Holleys, I find that an increase in rpm when you pull the lever is more important than totally choking the carby to start nicely. My 302/600 Holley starts on half choke, one pump on accelerator and 1500 rpm in the middle of winter. Full choke is generally too much most of the time.

Yeah that's the same setup that I have all that's fine I'll just have to give tweaking the idle screw a go and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Yeah don't give up and get an electric choke, they come on even when the motor's warm! They can be a bitch to set up correctly too. Nothing can beat your own ability to sense if it needs choke or not. Who needs that auto shit anyway?

You need to adjust that screw so it almost touches the cam when the choke is off, so the moment any choke is applied, the throttle opens too.

Ahh I see so with this cam you speak of is it visible looking down into the carb ?

Sorry for the questions I'm only new to this all

Nah mate on the opposite side to the throttle cable, where the choke cable connects, there should be series of cams and linkages that work to open the throttle a bit when the lever is pulled. Here's a picture:

Choke on:

post-244-1370931387439_thumb.jpg

Another view with choke off:

Choke on:

post-244-13709318130876_thumb.jpg

Short of taking a video that's about the best I can explain it. I'm sorry I can't circle the area concerned with just a phone (no computer).

Hope it helps.

Thanks heaps man did exactly what you said and works a charm ! Just had to play around with it to get it right but alls good .

Thank goodness for this forum ! Haha

Thanks heaps man did exactly what you said and works a charm ! Just had to play around with it to get it right but alls good .

Thank goodness for this forum ! Haha

Awesome! Looks like we all kicked a goal... You sorted your Holley and I finally worked out how to post pics from my phone.