The Kelvinator

302 Clevo into an XF what needs to be done?

Ok so as most of you know, I have an XD van with a 302 and a clapped out body. I have thought about putting it into my XF panno, just wondering what is it that I need to do so that an engineer can sign off on it easily? One thing I know about is re-location of the heater box.

It'll fit, but, need to "massage" the firewall, behind right hand rocker cover, if I remember rightly. Will also need to change fuel line position, put in V8 springs/shocks, re-calibrate speedo/tacho, bit of wiring need re-routing for oil press and water etc etc.

Even if you do get approval for physically shoving it in there, after a certain date of manufacture you'll need a feedback type gas system that uses O2 sensors, etc to keep emissions down. Cats need to be fitted, EGR, etc. Very much a grey area as far as I can see it.

Easy bolt in in no time mate.. my 351/C4 conversion took 4.5 hours with a mate. I even used the stock radiator, the longest things to do that I couldnt do were changing the pulley on the power steering pump to slow it down and the exhaust which were both done next day. engineer???.. new brakes was all I did for the first few months, then fitted superlows, shocks and an XF Fairmont Ghia sway bar with new bushes.. 10 years ago and still truckin!! (with a bigger cam and new set of better heads the only thing thats been done to it since) Engineer??? nah.. same bodyshell, brakes etc as the previous V8 cars..

Emissions will be the killer. Straight gas may be ok though. Not sure about other states but in QLD you cant use an engine from an older car than the one you want to put it into. And it must have its pollution gear in place and working.