scottly

ignition coil voltage problem??

hey guys,

in the engine bay of my ford xd ute the 2 ignition coil wires red light green (positive) and pink blue (neg) on the factory wiring loom I am having trouble with the voltage not sure if this is normal the guy from ice ignition recons I should have 12v plus at the coil.

when I put the pos multimeter wire to the pos coil wire and neg multimeter wire the neg coil wire its reading 7.6v it should be over 12v yeah?

but when I leave the multimeter pos to the coil pos wire and I move the multimeter neg wire on to various earthed parts of the car it reads 12.9v?

my xd was originally a 6 cylinder now a Cleveland and the ignition is a ice 7amp 2 step kit  

any help or advice would be fantastic I am trying to sort out the the small problems threw winter on my xd project ute whilst I can not do paint and panel work

thanks scott

Yep that sounds right. What's the problems<br /><br />

the guy from ice said the coil should read over 12v the car runs but takes bit to get started. if it does not get a full 12v will my motor lack spark I dont know what is wright or wrong I also don't want to fry my coil.

gaz the coil only has the the positive and negative going to it from the factory wiring loom and a positive and negative going to the coil for the ice ignition module.

thanks for the replys any other ideas or information on this?

XD 6cyl has a resistor wire to the coil. Fuck that off and run a new wire.

If its anything lime a corty gaz is definately right!! Run a new ignition feed to the positive of the coil and see how you go mate because it may be red/green on the coil but in the harness it may be a jelly type resisted wire which will only supply 9v and i found this out by stripping my harness and asked my mate who told me wat it was. It caused me all sorts of dramas...

ding ding 2 thumbs up for you tyler some good information right there ill have to get out in the garage tomorrow and have a play. killer Cortina to man I haven't  looked it up on this forum yet thanks

The resistor wire is only on XDs that had points ignition (Cast iron 6cyl).

Alloy Heads and V8s had electronic igition and no resistor wire.

Good info mate as per usual! Off topic is you car on the road yet?

The resistor wire is only on XDs that had points ignition (Cast iron 6cyl).

Alloy Heads and V8s had electronic igition and no resistor wire.

Hmmm.. My ute was a factory alloy head crossflow. I'm away for the long weekend I will have to have another look when I get home thanks for that great info mate

Chris,

Its on the road but no boost, took the m90 off, and not far from putting the m112 in its place, might be done in the next few weeks, just came inside after doing a bit on it.

I cut the engine bay off my XF van that was rear ended, and have set the m112 up in there so I can still drive the yellow one.

Chris,

Its on the road but no boost, took the m90 off, and not far from putting the m112 in its place, might be done in the next few weeks, just came inside after doing a bit on it.

I cut the engine bay off my XF van that was rear ended, and have set the m112 up in there so I can still drive the yellow one.

Thats awesome news dude so u gonna come next weekend for the OzFalcon cruise? Would love to pick your brains on how to correctly set up the map sensor function on the corty and catch up its been a while.

thanks guys for all the replys 

there was no voltage problem it turns out i was the goon who had no idea on end of the multimeter, tyler you are very right pos coil to neg coil gives a incorrect reading but pos coil to any earth on the car reads 13.9 witch is correct lol thanks again