Can anyone tell me if they hace pit a 4 spd auto in an xr 1966. I have one in my ute and think it maybe at the wrong agle for the box to tailshaft. Its possible someone couldnt get it up into the tunnel enough. Do xr xt xw xy have different tunnel sizes as in bigger than xr?

11 minutes ago, Crebe said:

Can anyone tell me if they hace pit a 4 spd auto in an xr 1966. I have one in my ute and think it maybe at the wrong agle for the box to tailshaft. Its possible someone couldnt get it up into the tunnel enough. Do xr xt xw xy have different tunnel sizes as in bigger than xr?

@Thom may know? did  the manual XR have a smaller tunnel than the auto ones? 
this is the case with some earlier stuff from memory. 

Have measured with a electronic ang ll e level and looks to me like the motor points downhill towards the ground to far. Dont have the angles with me but can dig tgem out. Mainly want to know if the XR have a smaller tunnel than XW XY

GregAust....they had auto and manual tunnels. Realy. What a stupid thing for a munufacturer to do. Just pick the bigest and go with that!

10 hours ago, Crebe said:

Have measured with a electronic ang ll e level and looks to me like the motor points downhill towards the ground to far. Dont have the angles with me but can dig tgem out. Mainly want to know if the XR have a smaller tunnel than XW XY

Normally around 3 degrees as Sparky Dave suggested. Honestly, it can be 2 -5* as long as your diff angle is the same, but opposite direction. stick angle gauge on manifold with carby off, engine fully installed, or transmission shaft hanging out the back of trans, should be angled 3* down, so make sure the diff is 3* up. 

20 hours ago, Crebe said:

GregAust....they had auto and manual tunnels. Realy. What a stupid thing for a munufacturer to do. Just pick the bigest and go with that!

I agree it's crazy why .  Yes in the early falcons they did . I'm not 100% sure exactly which. Might been pre XP ? 

Might also been to do with some early 6 cylinders , 144 , 170 etc had a very small bellhousing pattern at the motor side and hence smaller bellhousing.

Those I think had the Ford o matic but when they went to the 200 auto went to the BW35

Came across it also when a friend got a U.S Falcon , was a 3 speed manual 6 cylinder.  When I built a C4 to go in it with a 302 the tunnel needed work

Thanks. The way i measured it was off the front of the motor on a pulley or hamonic. It runs syraight off the end of th crank  so gives a clear measirement but still have to allow for the angle the vehicle sits, as in front down, level or arse down. Also the angle of the floor you are on. I will have to do it all again as I cant find it in any of my many note books. Got a feeling it was about 8 degrees down on th motor but cant remember. Love to know for sure about the tunnel!