iamaelephant

Engine mounts interfering with oil pan?

Another day another problem. I'm trying to get a new oil pan onto my 351C and the engine mounts are interfering with the flange of the sump, preventing it from fitting. Is this a case of cheap engine mounts that are incorrectly shaped or what? See these pictures, notice how the engine mounts curve inwards toward the flage. Are they supposed to look like this?

In case you're wondering how the old oil pan fit, the flange has been damaged by the engine mounts and it was very difficult to remove.

b7ZOwZu.png

8S4ShVG.png

yes i have had that problem a few times with after market mounts,just grind them back a bit to give a little clearance,i also got 1 mount that was made upsidedown yeah it still bolted on but looks a bit like the first picture you have,something dont look right there.

Looks like the weight of the engine is pushing the 2 mounts in towards each other. When they're bolted in they tend to "hang" spreading apart. As Chestnut said, the aftermarket Clevo sumps can be a bad fit, I've fitted a couple, and had to trim, grind, elongate holes etc.  It's just symptom of the non genuine market. Got an old original sump you can slide in, just to see if it fits better.??

I don't have any OG mounts on me right now, but I have some new mounts on order which should arrive in the next day or two. As it happens I am the one who installed the current mounts and I have some photos of them next to the ones I pulled out. To my eye they do look a millimeter or two thinner than the original ones, what do you think? They came from a reputable company but I suspect I bought some chinese junk here.

The new sump is an Aeroflow, I've always had good luck with them as a brand.

m96ndSa.jpeg

H9AiLQM.jpeg

QY5jIgj.png

Here's a comparison of the old (only less than 2 years old) mounts to new ones. The old ones folded severely at the bend. I don't know what caused this and I hope it doesn't happen again. The new ones are 0.5mm thicker so not very much.

Now that the new mounts are fitted I need to get the oil pan on and it is really fighting me but I'll get there.

dWgPx9v.jpeg

ravvRSa.jpeg

cJSqHOF.jpeg

q03I4Lk.jpeg

I really can't believe this, I'm so annoyed. I was very careful with the gasket install (I followed Clevo King's excellent video). Everything seemed good until the final torquing (just 12 ft lb) and the gasket split in the corner. This sump install on the garage floor was such a massive pain, at this point I think I'll just live with the damn leak for a year until I can be bothered to do it again (or if I decide to pull the motor at any point).

Any idea what I could have done to avoid this?

nps52kZ.jpg

I've also used many areoflow sumps and all were good,but I have always had the engine on the stand upside-down and fitted the sump with tiny increases on doing the bolts up to stretch the sump at all angles,then let it sit overnight and re torque again to spec until it seals on the sweet spot,squeezeing out the gasket is common,but not spliting like that,possibly a sharp spot or something?

Wow, what a pain!

I've had gasket failure happen, mostly with 3spd BW Auto trans pans.

I usually spray cork gaskets with Hylomar sealant,

but found if I coat it too much without drying properly first, the gasket goes soft and breaks

My factory XB service manual says 7-9ftlb for the smaller pan bolts,

and 11-13ftlb for the larger ones at the end.