Adrian853

XG Steering Box into XA

Hello folks,

I’m in NZ and shopping for parts for my XA.

Have found a XG steering box which is obviously power steering, and perhaps roller bearing top? The seller says the pitman arm is different.

I also read that maybe the steering column XA to XG is a different size, the XG being bigger?

So, should I grab this box and what would I need to do to fit it into the XA. Would plan to use Astra electric power steering pump.

Thanks,

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Adrian853 said:

Hello folks,

I’m in NZ and shopping for parts for my XA.

Have found a XG steering box which is obviously power steering, and perhaps roller bearing top? The seller says the pitman arm is different.

I also read that maybe the steering column XA to XG is a different size, the XG being bigger?

So, should I grab this box and what would I need to do to fit it into the XA. Would plan to use Astra electric power steering pump.

Thanks,

Adrian

I'm not 100% but 99% sure the only difference between a XA and XG power steering box  is the return pipe (instead of straight up, it comes out to the side) and should be roller bearing in the top cover as many rebuilds would have had this done as a retro fit i believe also if not. 

*the pitman arm on power steering is different, so you'll need a power steering one fitted if it's a bare box(XA one would fit the XG box, and XG one would fit the XA drag link) 

** the steering column to rag joint distance differs on power steering to manual box, this is changed by tapping up/in or down/out the end of the steering column at the box end(collapsible column the end can slide up with some effort in a crash) 

i can never remember which way it needs for fitting a power steering box (done it both ways before) i levered against the firewall due to not being fussed about scratches to extend one once, but if you undo the dust boot/panel in the footwell, you can tap it down to the box from there easily. or if it needs going the other way, it's just some tap taps with the hammer from the engine bay side.

if you already had power steering, an XG box would be a direct fit other than the return hose which shouldn't be an issue (might be pointing the wrong way for a show car pipe run perhaps with hidden astra pump?)

with the information above, you should be able to verify it with some other sources/pictures and go from there. 

Great info thanks!

What’s the difference in the pitman arm? Would it screw with bump steer or Ackerman?
Or is the pitman why power steer has an apparently larger turning circle?

28 minutes ago, Adrian853 said:

Great info thanks!

What’s the difference in the pitman arm? Would it screw with bump steer or Ackerman?
Or is the pitman why power steer has an apparently larger turning circle?

they don't interchange from memory,

i don't know about ackerman angle changes, but it would be wise to check if it's put the toe out after fitting. 

it's possibly a different shape and length, and yeah you end up with a larger turning circle which is a considerable annoyance at times. (depending on the use of the car, i prefer the manual ones due to the ultra reliability of them) 

Ah, seller also responded; reckons the pitman difference is to accommodate the 4.0 and sway bar.

I like the idea of the quicker ratio that comes with the power steering… not that it’s super direct even then… but it’s the only option, right?*

*RRS rack and pinion not an option for me.

1 hour ago, Adrian853 said:

Ah, seller also responded; reckons the pitman difference is to accommodate the 4.0 and sway bar.

sway bar is no where near the pitman arm, i'd be dubious if they know what they are on about, i also don't think the 4.0 is any different clearance wise to a clevo, so another sounding like rubbish response. 

easy way to tell would be to see if the part number is same for XG and XA XB XC XD XE V8 and an XF 6cyl with power steering, i'm betting they are all the same and only the manual one is different

Cheers, was a little sceptical given the Inline 6 didn’t fundamentally change.

Have no way of checking part numbers but agree; what I’ve read it all seems interchangeable.

FC LTD and other Fairlanes had a "variable rate" power steering box, easy in the carparks, but got firmer as speed increased. Got one in the shed, was thinking about shoving it in my XA. 

The Fc (XD) power steering pumps are different, so none of the bracketry/pulleys fit on my Clevo, so i shelved it for another day....... Or year......

I missed out on the XG steering box but instead picked up a steering box from a 1985 XF Fairmont that had done 340,000km for less money.

If I understand correctly, it was just the XG that was roller bearing but any used steering box is likely going to need re-conditioning and it seems most shops include the roller bearing swap as part of the reco process.

So, I need to get it reco'd and would welcome any recommendations in Auckland, NZ - so far I just know of PG Hydraulics.

This is the box I've got, more photos at this link: XF Steering Box

53489064504_5ed18d3267_c.jpg