408WPN

Rpm concerns on new purchase

Hey Guy's 

Howz it.. Touching base to query some excessive RPM on New buy I'm in the final stages of. 

87 XF Fairmont Ghia 408c, race car spec's on the new engine build, running a strong C4 trans & 8 3/4" 3.25 ratio diff but doing 4000 rpm at 100k. 

That kinda sounds like it sucks, what you reackon 🤔

56 minutes ago, 408WPN said:

Hey Guy's 

Howz it.. Touching base to query some excessive RPM on New buy I'm in the final stages of. 

87 XF Fairmont Ghia 408c, race car spec's on the new engine build, running a strong C4 trans & 8 3/4" 3.25 ratio diff but doing 4000 rpm at 100k. 

That kinda sounds like it sucks, what you reackon 🤔

sounds like you have a 6cyl tacho ?

and possibly 3.5 ratio diff

4000 definitely doesn't sound right (unless it has a massive hi stall converter also ?) 

even 4.11 diff ratio would only be about 3400rpm in my calculations

Nah,  ............. something ain't right. As Dean said, prob uncalibrated tacho. My XB has 3.50 gears, does around 2800 from memory.  Easiest way to tell is download an App to your phone with a HUD (head-up display) uses GPS to give a fairly accurate speed. Could follow a mate in another car at 100 km/h. If you get the speedo recalibrated, take a reading at 60, 80, 100, 120 with your mate on cruise control (or the App) on a straight flat road. Give the numbers to the instrument guy. 

If it is pulling 4krpm @100kph are you sure it's changing out of second into top? Could be in need of a kickdown or vacuum modulator adjustment