waderobertson

BW40 selector nut removal

3 hours ago, waderobertson said:

Trying to replace leaking selector seal, how do I get the bloody nut off? Think I read a post way back that said the nut requires a special tool or a simple hack I'm unaware of?

Cheers.

i thought it just came undone (lefty loosey) and the shifter rod came off?
@SPArKy_Dave any tips

5 minutes ago, deankxf said:

i thought it just came undone (lefty loosey) and the shifter rod came off?
@SPArKy_Dave any tips

The BW40 selector shaft seal, is same as the BTR 4speed.

It's just a small lock nut, with a flat washer behind it.

The shift lever is held in position, via the selector shaft having two flat sides.

thats a weird one it should just unscrew or try and get a tiny like 8mm bike spanner the real thin ones behind it cause i think the shaft is half flat half thread.

2 hours ago, waderobertson said:

https://imgur.com/a/OK4MIGk

Just trying to get this nut off... might be threaded because its turning but going nowhere. 

bugger, should just unscrew in the normal direction, looks crimped over like a lock nut which i don't remember it looking like that (might be the wrong nut sent home cross threaded?)

Split the nut to find the middle 1/3 of the thread on the selector shaft is munched... hence the spinning and going nowhere! Fuck it all. Will try and clean it up a bit with thread file and bang a couple lock washers on there. Just dropped the engine and trans back in yesterday so really don't want to replace the shaft. 

2 hours ago, waderobertson said:

Split the nut to find the middle 1/3 of the thread on the selector shaft is munched... hence the spinning and going nowhere! Fuck it all. Will try and clean it up a bit with thread file and bang a couple lock washers on there. Just dropped the engine and trans back in yesterday so really don't want to replace the shaft. 

ng65y0d.jpeg

looks to be some decent thread there still if you can stack a couple of good washers on the outside of the selector arm and then fit a new nut where the ok threads are. 

50 minutes ago, deankxf said:

looks to be some decent thread there still if you can stack a couple of good washers on the outside of the selector arm and then fit a new nut where the ok threads are. 

Yup that's exactly what I've done mate, a dab of locktite just for good measure. Got a good tighten on the thread, to the point when I nip it up the gear will shift. I ended up with 3 spring washers and the nut just flush with end of the thread.