Nath

Seat Options

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend an auto upholsterer in Sydney or know how much it would be to get my seats recovered in cloth (my vinyl is ripped at the seams plus it's just shit material.)

Looks like there's some companies doing decent looking leather bucket seats for around 700 (eBay) that just bolt into your rails. Was hoping to keep original parts if I can but I know upholstery costs a kidney so it may not make sense.

9 hours ago, Nath said:

I know upholstery costs a kidney

very labour intensive,

if it's a bucket seat, you may be better off finding a good matching left one and swapping the trim over to it. 

there's a video Peter Anderson did that's fairly general for seat trim removal (headrests on XD-XF need the seat trim 90% removed before you can access the clips for the headrests * heat them before bending the clips with hair dryer at min)

the falcon seats have a lot more hog rings/netting clips and a pain in the ass winder holding clip. but a motor trimmer might NOT charge HEAPS to swap the left seat trim to drivers side (bonus is the foams/springs can be swapped repaired in the process)

Nah they're just the regular povo pack seats.

There's a place based in Victoria selling these which will fit.

Only problem is they don't do back ones so my interior would be mismatched and I don't know how comfy they are, they look a bit thin.

Screenshot_20230423-101244~2.png

Screenshot_20230423-101255~2.png

6 minutes ago, Nath said:

Only problem is they don't do back ones so my interior would be mismatched and I don't know how comfy they are, they look a bit thin.

that curve shape in the top pic looks wrong (might be good if you spilled your coffee though)

@CHESTNUTXE shared fake ESP seats on ebay last week (autotechnica brand)  they may do them in different material that matches what you already have?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204311294271?hash=item2f91e6f13f:g:UiIAAOSwvCdkQa9-:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!3153!AU!-1&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0Pje9Y6DSe36asz7ccFPa6xlORaw59wKQVPH6K53iMfyRhjlzcfP6gBdYZJi49T7VS0qEoMvbTVQI7egOVQUtxvFAJSdouNoGKC6%2FwyOvQ3x7CRP9FqHzFrqhEza8v2mLfBVu5JieeD4HrmsHxFzPFMbKuZQM1R5PwJ35d%2FLqqlhjX5pk2Krh3NiIUTveMFT%2BpBAfjTGp2wp6JOKtKpHBzxZwL9k0edtBR%2FYJaokgBkCMtsWEw0niBJKp1GJgvNzo6owPzPFYF6MhqqZcIaT1lI%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR67y97f1YQ

s-l1600.jpg

I have the grey interior on my fairmont, so will be putting black carpet, black door accents, and black seats in.i would dobthe whole interior in black, but for the moment I'm doing a budget build. (LOL).  I think those 2nd seats look era worthy. 

Looks like there's a good selection of autotecnica seats on rarespares, even leather ones the same colour as my vinyl. They need an adaptor bracket to fit though.

Seems like a good idea for 700 bucks, anyone know if that will pass a blue slip okay?

Looks like there's a good selection of autotecnica seats on rarespares, even leather ones the same colour as my vinyl. They need an adaptor bracket to fit though.

Seems like a good idea for 700 bucks, anyone know if that will pass a blue slip okay?
Will check that out. My son works for repco, who now own rsre spares, so I'll get it for employees cost.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BTS666 said:

Will check that out. My son works for repco, who now own rsre spares, so I'll get it for employees cost.

Haha that's the best, wish I still had a mate who worked there.

Yeah there's heaps of options, some look stockish too. As long as it doesn't require an engineer cert to pass inspection or something stupid like that I'll get a set.

Haha that's the best, wish I still had a mate who worked there.

Yeah there's heaps of options, some look stockish too. As long as it doesn't require an engineer cert to pass inspection or something stupid like that I'll get a set.
Just don't tell anyone. But repco should be able to tell or find out for you if they are adr.

They bolt to your original rails don't they?

Better off getting Repco to get them direct from Autotechnica
Less companies adding their price on that way

4 hours ago, BTS666 said:

Just don't tell anyone. But repco should be able to tell or find out for you if they are adr.

They bolt to your original rails don't they?

I think they need an adaptor bracket to go onto the original rails which is where I think the issue is.

Looking on the site it seems they're ADR approved but that doesn't mean it won't need a cert I think. Suppose I can just put a seat cover on the originals for the inspection 

8 minutes ago, Nath said:

EB seats will bolt straight in apparently, these are you for 250 near me. Won't look out of place either.

EA to ED seats bolt directly in 1988 onwards XF van and ute. 

if you mean the rails. 

not sure if the seat parts swap to the older rails or not though.  the tilt mechanism might be the exception to EA to ED seats, base model ones might be swappable. 
definitely check before committing. (take a seat rail with you perhaps

Ah okay, those are Fairmont ones apparently. Not really fussed what I put in there as long as it passes blueslip.

People are taking the piss with seat prices though, 1200+ bucks for a reasonable set of XD ones.

Ah okay, those are Fairmont ones apparently. Not really fussed what I put in there as long as it passes blueslip.

People are taking the piss with seat prices though, 1200+ bucks for a reasonable set of XD ones.
The whole car scene is ridiculous. I almost bought a pontiac earlier this year for cheaper than I could any decent Holden or Ford.

EB seats will bolt straight in apparently, these are you for 250 near me. Won't look out of place either.
Screenshot_20230430-101209.png.7a939e1007d0793f8692329fd66587a2.png
No they won't.

As Dean said they'd fit 88 onwards XF ute or van, which bolt in from inside the car.
Anything 87 or earlier, has nuts that go on the sealt bolts, from under the car.

And no, the seats won't bolt directly to the early rails and work - without modification.
From memory (been a long time) you can enlarge the holes in the seat rails and bolt the seats to it, but they'll have a lot less range of back/forward movement because they'll end up slightly angled inwards/outwards.

Ah okay, thanks Chris. I'll give that a miss then. Just have to find something suitable so I don't have to butcher anything.