iamaelephant

Should this panel be welded or bolted in?

I bought this panel for my XF, the fit seems perfect. Should this be bolted in (with sealant / panelbond) or welded? If welded, should I stitch weld the whole panel, or just plug weld the holes?

Ford Transmission Tunnel Cover XR XT XW XY Falcon ZA ZB ZC ZD Fairlane rust (kingswoodcountry.com.au)

F2348.jpg

Sorry for the very basic questions, I don't know anything at all about bodywork. I have a cheap mig welder.

on the cars i've fitted them to (column shift to floor shift conversion) i've used silastic and fat headed self tappers. 

the factory used a self tapper hex head screw with a flange on it and probably mastic (goopy stuff) to seal to the floor 

i think as long as you've sealed it and secured it properly it's fine (a mate used riv nuts and bolts)

I think up to and including XE they bolted in.
XF onwards they were spot welded.

No issues with just using sealant (make sure it's body sealant not gasket sealant) and self tappers.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, deankxf said:

i've used silastic and fat headed self tappers.

U can get correct reproduction transmission tunnel Hex head self tappers on ebay I think?

From factory, I think the 'screwed down' tunnels, were sealed with a black non-curing butyl sealer - ie, windscreen sealant.