Hello. I have a n EB XR8 auto im my 66 xr utr. I am trying to replace the extension housing seal and bush but cant get to some of the 4 bolts. One in perticular (right side or drivers side top) has a thingy with wires comming out of it rite in the road of where i need to get a socket onto it. It has a longish m5 or m6 bolt holding it onto the box. Anyone know what it is and can i just take the bolt out and remove it. Also is anything need to be aligned or other lose parts inside ready to escape. tried to upload a shot but as usual technoligy failed me again!

1 hour ago, Crebe said:

Hello. I have a n EB XR8 auto im my 66 xr utr. I am trying to replace the extension housing seal and bush but cant get to some of the 4 bolts. One in perticular (right side or drivers side top) has a thingy with wires comming out of it rite in the road of where i need to get a socket onto it. It has a longish m5 or m6 bolt holding it onto the box. Anyone know what it is and can i just take the bolt out and remove it. Also is anything need to be aligned or other lose parts inside ready to escape. tried to upload a shot but as usual technoligy failed me again!

this image will expire any day or so, i got it from ebay (right click, copy image address and paste her on pc)

that red covered wire from where you describe is the speedo sender, just undo and remove the bolt, and the whole speedo drive will pull out of the extension housing  (careful with the wires, they like to snap off right close to the sender itself)

there's nothing in there that will fall out, try to keep it clean inside naturally (clean the outside as best as possible)

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks man. I spoke with an auto transmision guy today and said they are fragile and dont tighten them down tight as they crack and leak. Also he said they are not available for the EB. I have been searching all over to find out how long the section is that goes in the box as mine is in an XR ute, as in 1966 XR and the tunell is a tight fit. Not sure i will have enough room to get it out so I can get to the bolts on the extension housing and get it off to do the output shaft bush. I have tried lowering the box at the rear to get at stuff but if i cant get to the olt I wont crack the gasgett seal. May have to leave it allthough I have the seal, bush and gasgett.

30 minutes ago, Crebe said:

. Also he said they are not available for the EB

If you are talking about the speedo sender. They are same from XF to at least EL and probably AU.. there'd be no problem finding a  used one.

New not sure. I might look on ebay out of interest 

If you are talking about the speedo sender. They are same from XF to at least EL and probably AU.. there'd be no problem finding a  used one.
New not sure. I might look on ebay out of interest 
Same from XF to AU.
I got a grenuine one from Ford within the last 12 months for my wagon, was on the shelf at the local Ford dealer with an AU part number.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Realy... got one from ford? You must have talked with an older guy to get that help. They just say to me "naah to old even Ba stuff and older". And wont even look! I looked at a zillion images and didnt find one EB. I noticed the Au and others looked alike but thought maybe wiring or dimensiones were possibly different. May i ask how much they charged for it? Mine is still working but at this stage but may be broken by the time i get it out of the way! I have to get more clearance to the floor hump/tunnel to move it and get to the housing bolt behind it. I am trying to remove the extension to put in a new bush and seal. I would say that possibly I may be able to slip it out untill I run out of room and get to the bolt. Not sure if the housing will come off with the sender not ALL the way out.

Yeah older guy. Been with Ford as long as I've been dealing with them plus probably another 50 years.

I think it was around $120? I may even have the part number somewhere ..

Found it. FAU217B353A
$120 was trade price too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I had a look and they have aftermarket i think AU217B353A. So i just put my seal in the diff for the pinion and I think I have stuffed up! I knocked it in nice and square but put it all the way in. Should i have only made it flush with the front of the diff housing, not all the way in? By the look of it the pinion yoke may not wat to go into it now. Jesus why do i think of the when its too late? HELP

1 hour ago, Crebe said:

I had a look and they have aftermarket i think AU217B353A. So i just put my seal in the diff for the pinion and I think I have stuffed up! I knocked it in nice and square but put it all the way in. Should i have only made it flush with the front of the diff housing, not all the way in? By the look of it the pinion yoke may not wat to go into it now. Jesus why do i think of the when its too late? HELP

2 available on ebay $100 buy now plus $9.70 post has it listed as genuine. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/285055989689?hash=item425ea937b9:g:GAQAAOSw9lFjhW7N&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoE9xWJWWCDkjA49r05evSmaxUpZ3kDA2XRKQZWoeDXfI5EmPwarW%2BaBGQFbqnkPwU9zZ1CcMUOlfeBOGFSR4fG3QBDINWBf7QJDvpbYIefAYkwGJtPAlY507my5y17e2zH4DCFFcMr0kZ0e%2F0YKohqhU0aZC6ZVjuga%2F6a7lf5GeMwr3oJRGTaiqBhObeGF4yK82tTQAj%2BlyCQgghFTU8oA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8jqgf24YQ

second hand one for $30 plus $15 post 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225290505548?hash=item34745c4d4c:g:NFYAAOSwLwBjk8bi&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoAfYpgyvFM7tSKH%2FTkVyW1TZ%2Bn0I0KFtyW0uo0hSHQOtEYGQP19OWf7xoALRYYUJLYlDfzLwecg7vxLn9d1k1jf0ZqiJB3a4rbZ8U98Q4AqsL0zBsTvMjHFmHvAXEv%2F9%2B%2F%2F98KIlLvePh%2Fb01lSARKDb1wFdvyN9u8dcIaCrxilfIMKaIe%2BgbhOrSiZLj8nP9GsudPzsC1KGOSCAnpqUGm8%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8bqgf24YQ