Squiz

Door wont open.... help

Hi all, ive just aquires a 92 xf ute of my uncle and the drivers door wont open no matter what we do, door hands not boken its unlocked aadn the inside handle works, i managed to get the door trim off but cant seem to see the problem, anyone had this happen before? really have no idea what to do to get it open.

FIRSTLY, try turn the key to UNLOCK and hold it in that position, if the handle works to open the door then it will confirm what i'm expecting

same could be done with the window down and holding the lock button up. 

if you lift the handle and notice the lock button dropping, then it's what i suspect above. 

there's a broken spring in the door actuator 

check that first and i'll see if i can google a pic for you. 

if it's as above, and you find in the bottom of the door bits of this spring.. it's the issue

link to one here, i've never bought one or fitted it, only just bought a good used mechanism and swapped it.  https://www.custommustangs.com.au/ford-falcon-door-lock-mechanism-repair-spring-xd-x
this isn't the cheapest it's just the first one that popped up with google

KIT-XD-1.jpg?20210309031020

Just now, Squiz said:

yes it all works nothing looks broken it just wont unlatch for some reason

just posted 2 videos, 
SPRAY it all with WD40 or CRC etc and keep trying if it's all connected still

try make sense of the videos, the lady i made them for figured it out from them. 

thankyou, i coated it all in CRC before i left this morning ill be able to go back to it next weekednd and have another go with these videos as reference. hopefully i get the dam thing open atleast dont mind if i have to buy a new mechanism

2 minutes ago, Squiz said:

thankyou, i coated it all in CRC before i left this morning ill be able to go back to it next weekednd and have another go with these videos as reference. hopefully i get the dam thing open atleast dont mind if i have to buy a new mechanism

it could be just stiff in the latch(door out of adjustment due to stuffed hinges/cracked door near hinge)  if so, give the door from the inside some decent push pull action while holding the handle open(don't force the handle, that's not the issue unless something else is broken, forcing the handle will break something 99% of the time)

yeah tried that i was in the ute using my feet to push against the door while my uncle was trying to get it open but that didnt work either

27 minutes ago, Squiz said:

yeah tried that i was in the ute using my feet to push against the door while my uncle was trying to get it open but that didnt work either

you might need to do what's in one of the videos, line up the lock part (you'll see what the lock button does) then lift the pin with a screw driver. i've only had this happen once personally  and someone else had it so i made the video for them. i think the door mech was just full of dust mainly, i don't recall there being anything broken in it in this case.

that spring in the bottom of the door is usually from previous broken door handles if it's thicker spring metal. bigger also. you'll be able to see it on the handle easy enough. 

These days, it's usually the outer door latch mechanism, that seizes up.

Especially with x-series which have been sitting. (higher chance of sticking, if exposed to the weather also)

I've encountered the above problem, multiple times now - dealing with aged XD-XF's.

I've personally not had any real luck yet fixing the problem apart from removing door trims

(and also pinch-weld seals - to better expose the stuck outer mechanism)...

then drowning the inner and outer mechs with a Penetrene/WD40/CRC type spray.

Sometimes they've come loose after doing that, and sometimes not.

I've got one rear door and one front door - still stuck after 12mths.

Moving forward, I would be inclined to pack the outer mech's with a general purpose zinc or lithium grease

or similar lubricant - a grease which won't degrade small plastic or nylon parts, which may be present inside the latch mech.

1 hour ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

These days, it's usually the outer door latch mechanism, that seizes up.

good point, i haven't had many with this issue but i did have one (partly mangled due to door misalignment from broken door hinge) 

i had a feeling i undid the hinges off the pillars to get more wiggle on the latch and striker. might be something to try next.